Your favorite species and why.

redhorse

Chameleon Enthusiast
Just wondering what attracts people to their pet chameleons.
Example: I have had many different species and they all have different behaviors, colors, features, temperaments, needs, likes and dislikes and chameleonalities (might be made up word). (y)

I read experiences and connections to their chameleons but not sure if that is what attracted them since behavior is usually an after benefit.

Example: Mine would have to be the Veiled since they are unpredictable, very active, share moods and it may change often. My favorite color is RED so tried a few RBBB and just didn't have the connection.

Maybe it is a me thing...

Thanks for sharing!

ooh that’s hard, for me I’m gonna have to say a veiled or a elephants eared chameleon. I love the veileds because of their casques, especially when they get really long, and I love the colors they have, especially the blue, and because a veiled chameleon is the first(and only) chameleon I got. And I love the elephant eared because one, their “elephant ears” are adorable! I have always loved elephants, so this is a perfect chameleon fit for me. I also love the little thing they sometimes have on their nose.

Yikes! How can you pick just one?! They are all magnificent!
My favorite has to be Parson’s as I love their chonky bodies and they hold the wisdom of the universe in their eyes.
On the opposite end of the size spectrum, brookesia are just absolutely adorable in their tiny-ness.
For sassiness, nothing compares to veileds. I love their attitudes…’Hiss hiss frown frown, go away, I am a fierce monster and will bite you…oh, you have food…well, hello there good hooman’.
I only have experience with my own panther, but I adore his friendliness, chill attitude and often seems to ride the short bus. He’s like a happy little stoner.

Panther owners-- Do different localities have different behaviors and different behaviors within the groups?
Example: Veileds same species but so many differences between individuals. My C Jacksons were all pretty similar but fascinating in their owe ways (colors, horns, sizes and ability to hide very well when wanting to-- way more chill).

Yikes! How can you pick just one?! They are all magnificent!
My favorite has to be Parson’s as I love their chonky bodies and they hold the wisdom of the universe in their eyes.
On the opposite end of the size spectrum, brookesia are just absolutely adorable in their tiny-ness.
For sassiness, nothing compares to veileds. I love their attitudes…’Hiss hiss frown frown, go away, I am a fierce monster and will bite you…oh, you have food…well, hello there good hooman’.
I only have experience with my own panther, but I adore his friendliness, chill attitude and often seems to ride the short bus. He’s like a happy little stoner.
I died when I saw this! So true, parsons are very chonky, but I do feel like they know something us humans do not. Like you said, you can see it in their eyes. And that is spot on with my veiled chameleon. One minute she’s black trying to kill me, but as soon as I pop out the super worms, she’s like, I shall let you live.(for now muahaha)😂

Had (few years ago) Bearded pygmy's which were fun to watch in groups, similar to anole except it was the female that was dominate (in my groups). If I would have ever bought just 1, not sure if it would have had the same effect. Yes, very cute and different but without watching them do their chameleon, wild thing. might not have been so impressed. Their ability to lay eggs was impressive and similar to anoles too (minus the speed and jumping power).

Last edited:
I like parson's for their size+color and (at least yellow lips) generally chill personality. Though they don't like handling, mine has never tried to bite.

On the other end something about veileds and their feisty attitudes is appealing to me.

Panthers for being so colorful and usually good with people, even grumpy ones can be calmed down with work.

And of course, anything with horns... a crazy looking lizard with horns...can anything beat that? Speaking of... @JacksJill where is my giant kenyan jacksons? I want a big lizard, with big horns, wrapped in an american flag shipping container

Even though I've been enraptured by chameleons since an early age, I never put much thought or research into various species because I knew my ambition had to wait on a back burner until the time was right and I could do best by the animal. Getting ahead of myself didn't sit right.

When the time came, I did research a lot of species, but limited myself to what would be practical.
Parson's & Meller's for size, Panther & Veiled for color variations, Jackson's & other horned chameleons for their look. I still like them all, but when it came down to most practical & realistic for my current situation, Panther won—hands down.

No regrets. Both of my current lizards—the panther and the beardie—have been full of pleasant surprises & reward. I just took a short nap with Stinkeye (the beardie) chilling on my shoulder; an hour & a half and neither of us moved. 😴

I fell in love with a Jackson’s Cham the first time I walked into a pet store and saw it!! I lived in California at the time. I researched and got an enclosure all ready for him and then brought him home. This was 25 years ago! That one didn’t live too long nor the next one I had. We just didn’t know enough about what they needed back then. I’m so glad I have another Jackson’s xanthalophus! I just love their beautiful green, yellow, and teal colors and of course the horns! He reminds me of a very wise little old man in his calmness and his slow moving demeanor. I love him! I’m so glad we know more now about how to care for them!

@MissSkittles said..."My favorite has to be Parson’s as I love their chonky bodies and they hold the wisdom of the universe in their eyes"...I couldn't have said it any better myself...and I love their slow deliberate movements too!

I fell in love with a Jackson’s Cham the first time I walked into a pet store and saw it!! I lived in California at the time. I researched and got an enclosure all ready for him and then brought him home. This was 25 years ago! That one didn’t live too long nor the next one I had. We just didn’t know enough about what they needed back then. I’m so glad I have another Jackson’s xanthalophus! I just love their beautiful green, yellow, and teal colors and of course the horns! He reminds me of a very wise little old man in his calmness and his slow moving demeanor. I love him! I’m so glad we know more now about how to care for them!
The Jacksons are great too- I also think of a old man but different reason. The back legs look like baggy overall bottoms. Don't know why I see that. Not so much with the females, not even old lady overalls.
Thanks for sharing!

I am a Veiled girl but honestly this is solely because of Beman. I had two other veileds but one wanted to kill me any chance he got and the other was still young and learning when I had to rehome them due to our moving suddenly. But the personality is so drastically different from one Veiled to another. I had the honor of experiencing a beautiful Panther about 9 months after I got Beman, although my time with him was very short, I don't think it was enough time to know what a Panther would be like. And he was sick so he was not quite himself.

Beman has always been more personable with me. I know exactly what he is going to do and when he will do it. I know what his colors mean and when a gape is actually a risk of a bite. It never has been though. He likes to taunt me. I trust him and he trusts me. But he also picked me. He followed me back and forth for 5 minutes across the glass at Petco. He was only 4 months old and I did not know a thing. He would not come out onto the employee's hand but came right to mine. He had me at that moment.

Now if I was rich and could have anything I wanted.... Meller's and Parson's would be my have to have chameleons. They are both stunning and amazing! They would have huge enclosures! Like serious chameleon rooms lol

Last edited:
Triceros Cristatus, have to be my favorite, they just reminds me of a little spinosaurus or a dimetrodon haha. I was lucking enough to pick one up this year and it has been a blast working with them. Especially when I get to witness my little guy eat with my own eyes, since they are pretty shy species and their eating habit is interesting too because of how they shake or vibrate their head before capture their prey.

Trioceros montium, had a pair 14 years ago and was so cool (babies were easy like veileds), males with the two horns (female none). The colors and ability to move quick was amaizing. Not the Cristatus, but have heard they are quite similar. THEIR FINS are AMAZING!!!!!
Thanks for sharing!

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 99
Beman said "Now if I was rich and could have anything I wanted.... Meller's and Parson's would be my have to have chameleons. They are both stunning and amazing! They would have huge enclosures! Like serious chameleon rooms lol"

SO- IF I were rich. I might have to do some gene splicing. Parsons with horns, fins, crests, ears flaps (large) and the ability to change from their natural colors all the way to the purples, reds, yellows, blues and mixes of the panthers. With the more unpredictable attitude of the veiled. BUT! would hate to get bit by a big monster chameleon. Yes, went a little syfy there. :)

As many have said, they all are amazing in their own way. They say, dogs have the largest variation in weight and size but not sure they have checked out the Chameleon family in the same way. Just a thought..

Back
Top Bottom