Votes: 141 16.2%
  • 2 years

Votes: 153 17.6%
  • 5 years

Votes: 123 14.1%
  • 10+ years

Votes: 71 8.2%

• Total voters
My personal expierence with chameleons alone is about 1month now and im LOVING it :)

My expirience with other reptilies is probably about 4 years(mainly iguanas and snakes) im not TOO nervous on taking care of my new baby panther chameleon. Since im not much of a holder on reptiles. This pet is perfect for me!

I've got 1 male yemen, had him for about a year and a half. I hope he will be the first of many chams, would love to have experience with many other species :)

Two years ago this past January it started as an uneducated pet/present for my son's 16th birthday, and turned into a burgeoning addiction for me! My place is starting to look like Julirs dining room or Brad's chameleon room (and our whole flat sounds like a campground with the breeding crickets)
Once my daughter moves out ... Mellers?! or a whole herd of panthers.:D

What happened in the 6 months that made you have no chams?

Sorry, just saw this. I think I kind of burned out when the last of my Ambanja-type line from the mid-90's died. My collection of chams had been slowly downsizing as I was getting into reef aquaria and green tree pythons. Finding the rare nominate subspecies of Jackson's at my local pet store is what got me back in, and to this site.

Got my first panther in Dec. of '97 for $75. It was a tiny baby nosy be from a friend that just happened to get his to breed. There wasn't near the amount of information on keeping them back then as there is now. I remember that the only info that I could find was a book by Phillippe de Vosjoli, which has a lot of great information in it which some I still use today. I'm pretty sure that the life expectancy has lengthened greatly since then. I started breeding panthers a little over 6 years ago and my current breeding female is an F3 of mine.

i was really interested in getting them, but most of the forums and websites only post all the horror stories that could happen. i meet a few great people at a reptile show from FLchams and they took the time to answer all of my questions. now 3 months and 2 chams later i love this hobby :p

i was really interested in getting them, but most of the forums and websites only post all the horror stories that could happen. i meet a few great people at a reptile show from FLchams and they took the time to answer all of my questions. now 3 months and 2 chams later i love this hobby :p

its not a hobby its a life style! lol seriously it is. keeping him healthy really take a good chunk of time, but i enjoy it!

I've had chameleons for about 6 years now. Jacksons, Veileds, and Panthers.

However, I'm strictly a "one-at-a-time" keeper. Currently I only have one Panther, he's 10 months old.

With chameleons - absolutely no experience. This new veiled guy is the first I've ever owned...and it makes me quite nervous.

With other herps, though - plenty of experience. :) I also own 12 snakes and a BTS right now, and have had other reptiles in the past. This is why I decided to take the plunge, as it were, and see if I could properly keep a cham. So far, the equipment issues are driving me crazy! ...but he ate 3 superworms this afternoon for me. :D (That's all I gave him due to all the stress he's been under lately. He'll get more tomorrow)

I've been keeping chams on and off for the past 10+ years other reptiles for 15+ years and dartfrogs for 1.5 years now. First got into veils which I mistakenly bought from a pet store and had a couple of bad experiences. Then got into jacksons and fischers but never kept more than a single species at a time. I had some dissapointing experiences in the past, usually involved buying from an unreputable source.

My current guy is a male veiled whose name is Mr. Chameleon, I know ist lame but it just stuck. ( I don't normally name my animals so I'm not that creative)just ask Mr. Turtle my musk turtle whom I've had for at least 6 years now. I bought Mr. Chameleon from someone I know I could trust and have had him since Jan 08' and he is doing well. Looking to break the streak of only keeping a single species by getting me some pygmy chams soon.

I guess culmalativily my 10 years cham experience would only equal like 6-7 years

Last edited:
6 months. First reptile i've ever owned and pretty much the first pet i've ever had! apart from a rabbit when I was 10 and the odd gold fish here and there. Talk about chuck myself in at the deep end eh? lol. It's going well though, he hasn't really caused me any major concerns (yet) and is quite a placid fella.

I'm so new at it, that all i have is the cage setup. Still doing my homework on what type of Chameleon I want. Thanks for the Forum, I've learned alot.

I'm so new at it, that all i have is the cage setup. Still doing my homework on what type of Chameleon I want. Thanks for the Forum, I've learned alot.

I'm so glad we have this forum with so many people willing to help new chameleon keepers. And owners that do their homework before they get their new family members. My first experience 11 years ago with chameleons was disastrous! I got my 5 month old veil from a mom and pop pet shop with all the wrong advise. She sold me everything to take home that day, including a tall glass "chameleon" cage. I'm ashamed to say in my immaturity I did no research my self and my little guy never made it to a year old.
My chameleon was not my first experience with reptiles as I have kept snakes, then iguanas since the age of five. I found that false perception of my own experience was my own downfall. No matter how many years of experience we think we have, we should continue to research and look at the experiences of others to better our own husbandry. Thanks again to the creator of this forum.

Cham experience <3wks. 15+years with reptiles, amphibians, as well as fresh and salt h2o aquariums. I've been on a 7 year hiatus since my husband is NOT a reptile guy. (hoping our cham changes that!). Been using this site and other research to catch up on the new technology!! Great stuff available compared to the last time I had the honor of housing these wonderful animals (reps in general)!! I too am soooo glad to have found this site full of great people.:)

Back
Top Bottom