Youngest Age to buy?

BunnyGirl

My local Reptile Store has just hatched out some baby panthers ( My very own Panther is the daddy!) They are about 1 week old right now, what is the safest age to buy a baby? I want one so badly but i know that they need to grow for a while. I know the owner personally and could take on home whenever i want. Thanks!

My local Reptile Store has just hatched out some baby panthers ( My very own Panther is the daddy!) They are about 1 week old right now, what is the safest age to buy a baby? I want one so badly but i know that they need to grow for a while. I know the owner personally and could take on home whenever i want. Thanks!

if the owner is a great breeder, he/she will not let you take the any chameleon younger than 2.5 months old.
a week old baby is very fragile and need to be kept by someone who is experienced in chameleon keeping.

Hope that helps.

It does, I ment that I can buy it and he will keep it for a while. He said around 2-3 months. I was just wondering what you all thought about that timeline. They are so stinkin cute though!

3 months, without a doubt. I wouldn't buy from a breeder offering me to leave with a baby less than 2 months old.

If you like cute little babies, then you'll have to breed your chameleons! ;)

I heard 3months also. They are alot more strong and healthly older. Mine was probably that age when I got it and he is well. Sometimes you can get unlucky and they die of young age but doubt it if you go for 3months-4months.

It does, I ment that I can buy it and he will keep it for a while. He said around 2-3 months. I was just wondering what you all thought about that timeline. They are so stinkin cute though!

I think he's right on about the timeline..
Unless you are an experienced keeper, you do not want to get the baby cham younger than that.
They are very cute.. So, you have to resist the urge to buy in a whim. Keep us updated :)

Yes, 3 month is the right age for a typical owner. It can also be hard for some people to find the approp sized feeders for small chams also. Unless you breed your own crix & culture ff.

I go to his store weekly, I'll have to get Pics next time i go. I'd Love to bred my own, but need my own place before i can do that. I was so excited when i saw them! The problem with wanting to breed them is my male panther is the father to these babies.

3 months

that is considered the general rule but I personally think that if it is big enough at 2.5 months it would be fine...

I will echo Frans ... depends on your experience.
I've had babies shipped here that are only a few days old, but I have raised a few babies.;)
If the breeder is willing to hold one for you, why not let him feed it for awhile?

-Brad

shipping

personally it is the shpping real young that bothers me. I refuse to put too young of babies through that. Just my .02 cents

Back
Top Bottom