Young Veiled Cham, Closes One Eye Occasionally

tcpekin

I have just gotten a male veiled chameleon a couple of days ago. He lives in a 2x2x3 foot cage with a schefflera plant. I use a exo-terra 160 watt mercury-vapor bulb for heating and UVB. I have a temperature range from around 90 to 70 with the light on, at night the temperature drops to about 64. I have fed him crickets and wax worms. He does not seem lethargic, any more than a regular chameleon, and ate about 9 or 10 wax worms yesterday, along with some crickets. I noticed after I had sprayed the enclosure around 6 pm that he had closed one eye for a couple of seconds and then opened it again. He did this a couple of times, but other than that, his eyes have always been open. I have heard that they are not supposed to have their eyes closed. Is this a health risk or is my chameleon just blinking or something? Thanks,
tom

If you were spraying him, he was probably closing his eye because of the water. They usually "bulge" their eyes out, and close them, when they get sprayed. This is a good sign because it means that they are using the water to clean out their eyes. If he is closing his eyes at other times during the day, when you are not spraying, that is a problem

Back
Top Bottom