Yogg needs some poopin advice. :}

OOOst16

Established Member
ok confused!!! i went to get a fecal done of yogg because his poop has been smeeling god awfle. so i get there and get a float done. and the reults are negative. so i was like wtf? and they couldnt give me and explanation because nothing was on it....it was 100% clean (there certified exotic for herps).....so now im stumped. i got a fresh stool today because yogg decided to poop in a place where i could see it, i put it in the frige , then went there. im soo confused! any thoughts?

When you say his poop smelled bad, how long had it been bad?

Did the sample you brought in stink?

I'm wondering if you made a change in your feeding that resulted in something nasty smelling.

For almost 2 weeks my new chameleon's poop had a weird sweet smell...it gradually went down and I figured it was because the store fed him something I don't feed mine. I know that mealworms were one of his staples there. (note: I have a sensitive nose, I am the only one in my house who noticed this)

i feed crickets, supers and mealworms. i always have fed those 3. nothing has changed to my acount. the sample i took in smelled very bad . but came back clean , i was shocked. they did a float.

Other than smelling bad, did it look normal? Could it be a plant in the enclosure that he is eating?

i feed crickets, supers and mealworms. i always have fed those 3. nothing has changed to my acount. the sample i took in smelled very bad . but came back clean , i was shocked. they did a float.

Mealworms?! How often do you feed him mealworms, my guess would be that the mealworms are backing him up and when his poop does come out its rotten from sitting in his body so long.

Good idea Danny, I would not have thought of that.

Thanks! I read something like that in the Chameleon Handbook a while back, can't remember the chapter it was in.

That is also why when you put a chameleon into hibernation you need to make sure their stomach contents are empty so it doesn't spoil inside them.

His poop is firm and solid, not runny, urate is 100% white, he gets mealworms everyonce in a while, every other feeding I will give him 2 mealworms, and the rest crickets and a super. (Het gets 2 supers every 7 days), I feed him every other day, he's 11 months, he eats 6-8 feeders each time.

His poop is firm and solid, not runny, urate is 100% white, he gets mealworms everyonce in a while, every other feeding I will give him 2 mealworms, and the rest crickets and a super. (Het gets 2 supers every 7 days), I feed him every other day, he's 11 months, he eats 6-8 feeders each time.

Is it a veiled and does he eat plants if so what kind?

Yeah male vield, 11 months, poops about 4 times a week, he has a shafflera arbicol and 2 pothos in his enclosure, fertalizer free organic soil that is coverd. He shows no signe of anirexia, he's active very very very strong( he breaks the skin all the time with his claws) very beautiful eyes, fully hydrated.....he's so healthy. That's why I don get it.

I'm re- viving this thread for answers. Yogg is strong beautiful, not dehydrated and eats fantasticly, yet his pews smell, and the float came back negative from a certified exotic reptile vet, I've researched everywhere, and can't find any answers? Why would a perfectly healthy chams poo smell when the test came back negative?

Ooost...forgive me for this question. I don't know enough of your posts to have the answer.

Are you male or female?

If female...is there a chance you are pregnant? or menopausal?

I guess I'm suggesting it might not be Yogg....it might be you.

I'm still looking for an answer, I'm going to cut out the meal worms for a week to see if the smell ends, yoggs poo does have a sweet smell as mentiond in the first reply. Its a bad sweet smell. Ewww

I'm a 16 yr old male hahah! So umm,,,,no I just care so much about all my herps. I'm a worry wart.

thank you! That takes a lot of my suggestion off the table...pregnant women, women who are new mothers and menopausal women all have super sensitive noses so they find "smells" that the rest of the world don't sense.

In fact, you are in the group with the least sensitive noses so it's very probable that the smell you are reporting is important.

As you handled that question so well, can ask another?

How sure are you that it is the poop that is smelling? I know that sometimes plants can go funky....it is possible that the cage smells because of something other than the poop?

My herp enclosures are prestine at all times, its 100% his fecal. I smell it when I spot clean. He acts so healthy though. I'm thinkin it may be a meal worm thing like on the first reply on pg 1, that seems credible.

Heyyyy are you free ranging him in your house or some small indoor space where bad smell is not acceptable? If not, and the fecal is fine, then don't worry about the smell. I'd say you are feeding him frequently and he is pooping like any animal that eats a ton of food.

Have you ever had a fecal test indicate parasites in any of your reptiles?

Back
Top Bottom