Yet another male or female question!

Texasredrider

Hi guys. New member here and first post! I've had my panther chameleon for about 2 months. It's about 5 months old. This is my first Cham and I have done my homework on everything from enclosure to health to feeding. The thing is, I can't tell if I have a male or female. I bought my Cham from a exotic pet breeder as a male. Supposedly a Nosy be. Can you guys tell from the pic if I in fact have a male or female? I can get more pics if needed. Thanks and I look forward to actively joining the Cham community here!

Attachments

• 4BE337D3-44D0-4662-8C9D-0E688D6F2318.JPG
    4BE337D3-44D0-4662-8C9D-0E688D6F2318.JPG
    361.1 KB · Views: 147
Hi guys. New member here and first post! I've had my panther chameleon for about 2 months. It's about 5 months old. This is my first Cham and I have done my homework on everything from enclosure to health to feeding. The thing is, I can't tell if I have a male or female. I bought my Cham from a exotic pet breeder as a male. Supposedly a Nosy be. Can you guys tell from the pic if I in fact have a male or female? I can get more pics if needed. Thanks and I look forward to actively joining the Cham community here!
Welcome to the forums, looks like a male to me. Good luck with your Cham . Have you named him
Dave

Thanks for the reply, Dave. This is going to sound corny, but the wife and I named him/her Cam. I was going to wait on a positive gender identification before giving him an awesome name.

So is the bulge the only way to tell gender other than color on adult males?
With Panthers, yes it's the bulge at the base of the tail. Often times it may not be apparent until the mid juvenile stages, since it's one of the last things to fully develope. However, there are a few things to keep in mind:
Males will grow to be bigger than females. Much larger in nature.
Males will also tend to display a more colorful spectrum of pigments, which is why they are often prefferred by collectors.

With this being said, although I cannot say for sure, I'd say that you have a baby boy.

Back
Top Bottom