Yet another feeder!

I'm with roo_71 on the fear of the eventual injury. I have studied the mantis indicative to my area and it's cunning capabilities coupled with it's fierce warriorship merits a deep respect. In the hummer picture, I thought I'd read that the mantis skewered the heart knowing full well what it was doing.
I wonder if clipping the tips off their "bayonets" could cause a bleed out like in birds?

I thought I'd read that the mantis skewered the heart knowing full well what it was doing.

I wouldnt be surprised, critters can surprise you. I saw a vid on youtube yesterday where a mantid stalked, captured and ate a frickin' mouse. I was very suprised.

I still think mantids are a great treat - they are a natural prey item for many chameloen species. My veiled is a VERY shy eater but wont hesitate eating a mantid right in front of me - so that says something. Think of the mental boost it gives too - if they fall over themselves to eat a mantid then they must really enjoy them.

-roo

i got 3 mantis pods on ebay last summer and all 3 hatched out 1000's of mantis ,i would not feed a adult mantis to my chameleons because they got spear type things that they can kill small birds with. i would feed them when they are still small. i feed many on them to my veileds right after they hatched.
i would think that if you let them grow to maybe half their adult size you could feed them without pulling the spears off.

Pretty scary thinking that there's a possibility that it can hurt your cham. I want to try and feed them to my cham. If you feed them right after they are born, the mantis' won't have the same nutrition as half grown or a one that has been feed a few times. Can anyone post any pics of the mantids and sacs and stuff. Setups and etc. Lol would be cool, a pic of a chameleon about to grab a mantis.
Roberto

captured and ate a frickin' mouse. I was very suprised.

Did you happen to see 'where' the mantid attacked? I just know they are smart enought to go for the beating heart for the instant kill.

Those dang things give me the creeps, I hate the evil things. They will not be a feeder for my cham.

Mantids are amazing creatures!!! i cant believe u feed them to ur cham., I've kept lots of species of mantids as pets and they are very intresting and rewarding to keep. Shocking!!

Because I like the idea that chameleons find mantis so tastey, I've purchased an egg sac for my guy. I'm not afraid of the hatchlings, and think it would be great sport for him.

What's the tirle on that YouTube of the Mantis with the mouse, please?

Wow, never knew they did that!!

Not sure if we can buy mantis eggs here in England? Not sure i'd want to feed them now after watching that lol

In England you are lucky.
You can legally obtain walking sticks for your cham.
They are illegal in the states

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom