Yet another feeder!

Brad Ramsey

Retired Moderator
Picture of the habitat I created for them is in my gallery.
I tried to attach it here but it's not working for some reason.

-Brad

Last edited:

roo_71

Do you want to raise them up? If so, I would start off with really small Dixie cups and put 2-3 nymphs in each. I cover the cups using a rubber band and some fine cloth/netting I got from a fabric store. Set up as many cups as you think you can handle.

They are very cannibalistic and will eat each other if you put them all in a tank - you will get more to adult via the cups.

Ghost mantids might do ok in a tank together – they are a bit mellow, however not a very big feeder compared to Chinese, African and some Asian flavors.

-roo

Brad Ramsey

Retired Moderator
Thanks Roo.
I was aware that they were canabalistic and was hoping to provide them with enough food to keep them from eating each other.....although I guess these insects are probably not terribly discriminating.
The enclosure in my picture is one I plan to hatch them in and then....
I have some options for splitting them up. Your suggestion is a great one!
I would actually like to grow a few to breeding age and see if I can get them to breed here. I also want to toss a few in the garden!
We'll see what happens.

-Brad

chameleon76

mantids

Hello I always wanted to get some for feeders because every cham I ever owned loved them and never fefused them.Where did you get your eggs from do you have any links for some good info on them?Besides as feeders i have always found them to be very interesting.There are so many bazzar looking spiecies .They also make great photo opps
Kevin

Brad Ramsey

Retired Moderator
Kevin,

I ordered my egg sacs from Wards Natural Science.
If you google you can get the address.
Fate, The pic is in my gallery.

-Brad

Heika

I just ordered some in as well.. they came in last week. I bought mine on Ebay. Lots available right now.

Heika

roo_71

So, so, so get them from EBay. Many of them EBay are freshly collected and stand a much better chance of hatching then from Ward’s – at least from my experiences. I get mine from mantis_man_prophecies on EBay and for the most part I get a good hatch rate.

The ooths may dry out in a tank since it’s a bit harder to maintain humidity in there. I hatch them in tall deli cups, hot glued the ooth to the side, with a moist paper towel at the bottom. The lid should have a bit of air flow and I replace the paper towel when I see some mold on it. The paper towel should be kept moist all the time too.

Some excellent info on mantids …

http://www.wildeyereptiles.com/catalog/information2.php?info_id=26
http://www.mantidforum.com/forum/index.php

-roo

Brad Ramsey

Retired Moderator
Hey Roo,

Thanks for the link to the Mantid forums!
I'm in trouble....these are going to end up being pets too:eek:

-Brad

FaunaBgirl

I have a picture of a mantis that skewered a hummingbird and proceeds to eat it. I think Sci Fi alot and invision how terrifying for us humans if Mantis' were our size. We'd be gonners. lol

roo_71

I'm in trouble....these are going to end up being pets too

Tell me about it. They ARE really cool and at the same time pretty time consuming - espceically when you feed them.

I saw that hummingbird pic. Pretty wacky, birds arent their normal prey but I think the mantid puntured a lung with its raptor claw. I cant see it killing that bird any other way.

-roo

untitled.bmp

Brad Ramsey

Retired Moderator
In anticipation of wanting to keep some single mantids and of course breed them, (this is a ways off but I like to be prepared) I have devised a dozen of these 4"x4"x9" tall enclosures.
I got the plastic display boxes at hobby lobby and also bought some of that plastic craft mesh (you know, that you use to make a personalized carrier for your Bingo markers :) ).
I melted out the center of the lid with a wood burner and hot glued the mesh on the inside.
My favorite thing about this is that they are all the same and will look great lined up on a shelf.
Hope my eggs hatch :rolleyes:
Pics in my gallery
-Brad

Last edited:

rcagosto

Can these be used as staples or are they treats? Is there a nutrition chart for them? Interested in this feeder. Sounds good guys. Good luck.
Roberto

Brad Ramsey

Retired Moderator
I believe they could definetely be a staple, although perhaps hard to keep in quantity. We'll see. My mind is all over this project and who knows what I may come up with.
I have to say the info from people who have kept or are currently keeping them is invaluable.
My goal is to provide the largest variety that I can without turning into the crazy bug keeper (maybe too late).
I read somewhere, and I have to assume that this is to some degree educated speculation, chameleons natural diet consists of a variety of 50 or more different insects. It is not possible for me at this point to even imagine sustaining a menu like that, but as many as I can do can only benefit my cham.
Plus I am secretly an amatuer entomologist and this aspect of chameleon keeping really excites me.

-Brad

flpanther

mantids

I also ordered on ebay. There is a seller who gives you 15 sacs for the price most others ask for one. I keep them in the fridge and hatch 2 sacs at a time by removing them from the fridge to a warm, humid environment.

roo_71

Even if I could produce a ton of mantids I personally wouldn’t make them a staple. It would only be a matter of time until one of those raptor claws causes an injury – they are super sharp. I probably should clip them off prior to feeding them out but I just couldn’t do that - to any critter.

-roo

Top Bottom