Yet another faux pas but with roaches

ridgebax1

Avid Member
So I had about 10 small to medium roaches in a deli cup sitting on the windowsill in front of CJ's cage. I stepped away for a minute (my bad) and when I returned the cup was on the floor and not a roach in sight. I live in Pittsburgh PA. What are the chances that this is going to be a terrible event over the next few months?

I think you will be fine. They are small so it will take quite some time for them to reach maturity in order for them to breed. Hopefully they will not have much access to food and water and they wont survive long enough to reach maturity. However they are ridiculously hardy and mine breed with no extra heat at around 21°C. Maybe just as a precaution you should try and see if its possible catching any of them.

I've found that dubia's that have escaped the feeder cup in my chameleons cage will without a doubt be hiding under the potted plants, that's where they go. Maybe keep a potted plant or something they can crawl under close to where the feeder cup fell and check it in the mornings.

Worst case scenario get a sticky roach trap and put an orange beetle jelly pot in the middle and see if that attracts them.

Good luck

Eh about once a year i get fed up an throw out hundreds. I find most of them dead in a few weeks around the yard. This is in ohio summer/fall. They might be able to live for months without food, but it seems that temp swings and lack of food kills them pretty quick. Or maybe its because they are farm raised anc cant live unless they have fresh cut veggies every day :)

Tokays will only attack, if attacked. Just don't bother them. They have enormous confidence. Fierce little buggers. :eek:

I don't know, any time I have seen anybody try to handle or get close to one they get bit and trust me, those things will latch on for a good 10min

Back
Top Bottom