Yemen fell and now acting weird

Manc81

Hi, I have a male 9 month old Yemen who has recently fell out of his plant. It happened 4 days ago and everything seemed fine, then the day after he went dark and hid at the bottom of his viv. He did this a couple of times so I carefully got him out and he went fine colour wise. He's very friendly but the last few days his left eye keeps closing and at certain times he's hiding from me and acting defensive. I'm really worried and I'm going to the vet next week if there's no improvement, but any advice would be much appreciated.

Hey Manc81, Welcome to the forums! Wish it was under better circumstances. First thing I would do is fill out this form so we can avoid having to ask a lot of basic care questions. Be as thorough as you can so we can know everything. We may be able to identify some issues just from the answers, or at least rule some out. https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/ How far did he fall? Does he have any dark splotches on his body that do not seem normal? Does the eye stay closed? How is his grip when you take him out?
Pictures will often help as well.
I wouldn't wait too long if he does not show improvement. Get him to a vet ASAP. Try to bring a fresh fecal sample when you go.

Hope your little guy feels better soon! :)

He's a 9 month old male Yemen and I've had him since 10 weeks, I handle him very frequently as he is very friendly and comes to me. He eats crickets every other day and has locusts as well as D3 once a week and I keep his viv above or around 70% humidity by misting, and also his poop seems normal like moist olive colour. His light times are 10-10 and his temps are 25c cool 35c basking and 20c at night. He's always been fine and very friendly, I also have a 1yr old female Yemen and a RB Ambilobe but he's my fave so I'm a bit stressed about him.

He fell about 2ft but doesn't have any marks, his grip is normal and his eye can be shut between 10 secs to 10 mins. He also has a vacant look like he doesn't recognise me, sounds crazy but I can notice it.

O.K., I would try to mist him a little (warm mist) to try to flush the eye. Start near him and gradually get closer to his face. If he freaks out, you may want to try the warm shower method. He could just have some debris in there. As for a 2 foot drop, I would probably freak out as well, but the fall itself should not be a big deal. (They can handle that no problem.) He may have some trouble focusing if there is some debris in the eye, and that would possibly explain the look that you are describing.
Has anything in his immediate environment changed? (moved enclosure, hung a new picture, put the heat on in the house?) I'm trying to figure out why he would feel insecure. Wish I had a definite answer. :confused:

No his environment is the same, but came down this morning and he's rubbing his eye against a branch. Im going to try and flush his eye out with mist or shower and see if it helps

Back
Top Bottom