Wye is my veild so small

Kaycool

So my femail veils chameleon is about a year old and is only 5 inches without tail and just looks small compared to youtubers chameleons she has a regular diet of crickets so is that normal size she was also rehomed and I took her in about two months ago 15753548048847256277576453657705.jpg

Not all chams are created equal and females tend to be on the smaller side. From the pic she looks normal to me. Has she shed at all since being in your care?

There is also a way to reduce clutch size and/or stop ovulation by regulating temps and feedings. Not sure your experience with females but this may be something to look into :)

Edit: I noticed a red looking light. If it is I would stop using it. Chameleons require darkness at night.

She could very well be a year old. Hope you're ready for eggs cause my guess is they're coming soon. (Guess is based on colorings)

Not all chams are created equal and females tend to be on the smaller side. From the pic she looks normal to me. Has she shed at all since being in your care?

There is also a way to reduce clutch size and/or stop ovulation by regulating temps and feedings. Not sure your experience with females but this may be something to look into :)

Edit: I noticed a red looking light. If it is I would stop using it. Chameleons require darkness at night.
well I dont think she has shed yet I have not found a shed and how often do they shed and what type of light should I use also I use a 150 watt heet bulb they seem to like it

well I dont think she has shed yet I have not found a shed and how often do they shed and what type of light should I use also I use a 150 watt heet bulb they seem to like it
That’s a pretty high wattage bulb lol you may benefit from having a complete husbandry review. If you are new to chams I would highly recommend filling out the help form in my signature block. Just copy and paste.

Just copy and paste and fill out in as much detail as possible. When posting pics please post entire viv including lights.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Just copy and paste and fill out in as much detail as possible. When posting pics please post entire viv including lights.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Ok so she is a femail veild and it's a screen cage she's a year old roughly and I dont handle her much I keep it at a minimum and she gets gut loaded crickets and she really like ice burg lettuce I use reptivite sometimes she always has lettuce in her cage she has a 150 watt red land and has a branch right belo her heet bulb so she can move around she has a dripper and i spray her cage constantly she has a male in with her that's how she was rehomed I'm about to separate them into a new cage and its 75 to 82 degrees in there always she is on top of a table so a higher place in the room I live in Washington half the time she's a dark color but she's usually light turquoise and yellow she is beautiful she just laid her first cluch of eggs 22 and they were pretty healthy eggs I own lots of animals and I have done hours of research on these guys but for the little stuff I went to forums also I got her about a month ago so am I doing ok with them

Last edited:
Ok so she is a femail veild and it's a screen cage she's a year old roughly and I dont handle her much I keep it at a minimum and she gets gut loaded crickets and she really like ice burg lettuce I use reptivite sometimes she always has lettuce in her cage she has a 150 watt red land and has a branch right belo her heet bulb so she can move around she has a dripper and a spray her cage constantly she has a male in with her that's how she was rehomed I'm about to separate them into a new cage and its 75 to 82 degrees in there always she is on top of a table so a higher place in the room I live in Washington half the time she's a dark color but she's usually light turquoise and yellow she is beautiful she just laid her first cluch of eggs 22 and they were pretty healthy eggs I own lots of animals and I have done hours of research on these guys but for the little stuff I went to forums
Thanks for the info but I need more detail lol.
How big is the viv? (Dimensions)
What kind of lights? Uvb coil or linear?
What is the red 150w bulb for? Basking? Night time?
How are you measuring the temps/humidity.
What do you feed to your feeder insects?
How often and how many are you feeding? How many times a week?
Do you dust with plain calcium with every feeding?
How often are you giving the reptivite?
Please post pics of the entire viv.

I would not recommend feeding iceberg lettuce it may keep her hydrated but it has low nutritional value. IMHO she may not have laid all her eggs with a male in her enclosure. Just my opinion, you may want to book an appt with an exotics vet and have her X-rayed. Housing for the male is going to be minimum 2x2x4 enclosure. Make sure they can’t see each other and I would make this a priority. Housing chams together in a small viv can be stressful and lead to unseen health problems.
The eggs should hatch in about 8-9 months sometimes longer. Just be prepared for that too. :)

Thanks for the info but I need more detail lol.
How big is the viv? (Dimensions)
What kind of lights? Uvb coil or linear?
What is the red 150w bulb for? Basking? Night time?
How are you measuring the temps/humidity.
What do you feed to your feeder insects?
How often and how many are you feeding? How many times a week?
Do you dust with plain calcium with every feeding?
How often are you giving the reptivite?
Please post pics of the entire viv.

I would not recommend feeding iceberg lettuce it may keep her hydrated but it has low nutritional value. IMHO she may not have laid all her eggs with a male in her enclosure. Just my opinion, you may want to book an appt with an exotics vet and have her X-rayed. Housing for the male is going to be minimum 2x2x4 enclosure. Make sure they can’t see each other and I would make this a priority. Housing chams together in a small viv can be stressful and lead to unseen health problems.
The eggs should hatch in about 8-9 months sometimes longer. Just be prepared for that too. :)
I will tell you that stuff after I get out of school sorry at 330 ish

@Kaycool said..."I own lots of animals and I have done hours of research on these guys but for the little stuff I went to forums also I got her about a month ago so am I doing ok with them"....I'm sorry but there are things you should know if you've been researching them as much as you say you've been doing ....like a male and female should not be in the same cage together other than for an hour or so to mate (if you want fertile eggs)....like lettuce is not a good food for them....like the dark coloration means nonreceptive or gravid...like she needs more than just reptivite....like a red light is not recommended. Just hope you will stay on this forum and answer the questions with some detail as @janjan20 has asked. We don't want to see the chameleons have health issues that can be avoided by proper husbandry.

Oh ok! Lol
ok so the cage is a 16 by 16 by 30 and it is a uvb coil but I have a red heat bulb 150 watt and a special light that is for plants and gives of uvb the heat bulb is on all the time so what kind of light would you recommend and I have a male in there but I will be separating them I know it's bad but that's how they were rehomed they love the lettuce but what can I feed them than also I spray there cage often 4 times a day and have a dripper but the temp is measured with a digital thermometer and I feed my crickets with lettuce apples carrots broccoli. And I pretty much dust them with reptivite every time but not calcium I give them crickets every day. I hope that covers everything I'm trying to learn more so I can give them the best life possible

Attachments

• 15754132274218564141054741219931.jpg
    15754132274218564141054741219931.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 15754133305091590539815074957161.jpg
    15754133305091590539815074957161.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 53
Back
Top Bottom