Wrapping my chameleons up in blankets

DChalo

Hey, i live in texas and we've been having quite a bit of power outages lately and the house gets REALLY cold and i started worrying about my chameleons because none of the heat lamps worked and it was like 40 degrees in the house. So i put them in the sleaves of some shirts and jackets and they fell asleep but i was wondering if this was safe for them. They are both adults, so what do you guys think

Wrapping them up really doesn't do very much for them because they do not produce their own body heat like we do, which is why our clothes work to keep us warm. Wrapping them will help preserve some of the heat they already may have, but it won't do much for long since they won't be making any additional heat. They need external sources of heat to stay warm so you need to find a way to raise their ambient temperatures! I know it's difficult, I'm in Texas too. Do you have a friend with a warmer house who could keep them for a while until power is more reliable? I have a standing order with my vet at the college that if my power goes out I'm bringing all mine in since the school has its own generators and power plant. They may be sleeping because their metabolism is getting slower and that's a way to preserve energy (not something you want to continue). If you still have warm water you could run the shower on hot to warm one small room at least. You really need to find a way to get yours warmer asap! 40s is too cold for veileds and panthers.

Hey, i live in texas and we've been having quite a bit of power outages lately and the house gets REALLY cold and i started worrying about my chameleons because none of the heat lamps worked and it was like 40 degrees in the house. So i put them in the sleaves of some shirts and jackets and they fell asleep but i was wondering if this was safe for them. They are both adults, so what do you guys think

Do you have any way to heat water? You can fill some water bottles with warm water, put your chams in cardboard boxes with perches and put the warm bottle in the bottom...not TOO hot, but it can help buffer the temp a bit more. Or, try getting some of the small hand warmer heat packs from a hardware or sporting good store and use one wrapped in newspaper. That slows down the chemical reaction and makes them last a bit longer. Some are good for 40 hours.

If you have gas appliances (oven for eg) you might move them to the kitchen and use that? Other than heat packs, hot water bottles (if you still have hot water or means to heat it) Thats about it.
Makes me wonder how a generator is not a common household thing for folk living in extreme climates?
I would sell both legs for one if I was in the US right now, I hate cold! :D

Uh, when the power goes out, nobody in this part of town has power. But my stove works so i guess i could use that to heat the water. So the blanket thing was a stupid idea?

Not stupid per se, just not effective. If you could warm the blankets (without setting fire to them) then they might work if they aren't hot enough to burn your chams. But try warm water first because it would be better to warm the air around your cham instead of direct heat. Where I am we're having rolling blackouts so only parts of the city are out at a time. If that's not what you're experiencing then my suggestion of taking them to a friend's house obviously won't work if they don't have power either, unless they have a fireplace.

To everyone judging us "unprepared" Texans: We don't have generators here, this kind of weather NEVER happens! We have air conditioners so we're fine when all the people die in Europe from heat waves. That's the kind of weather we are prepared for. This is a record breaking winter for us, there's no way to prepare for something totally uncharacteristic and unpredicted.

You could warm them one at at time by putting them in your sweatshirt between your sweat shirt and your t-shirt and your body heat would warm them.

To everyone judging us "unprepared" Texans: We don't have generators here, this kind of weather NEVER happens! We have air conditioners so we're fine when all the people die in Europe from heat waves. That's the kind of weather we are prepared for. This is a record breaking winter for us, there's no way to prepare for something totally uncharacteristic and unpredicted.

LOL, I understand that mate, I wasnt implying Texans only, but north America, Ca UK etc anywhere you have extremes. Normal Winter in texas is cold enough (IMHO) :D
But being prepared, no matter where you are, for emergencies, such as lengthy power outages in any weather, is not such a bad thing. :)

LOl Jan, not sure how long Id want to carry Homer around like that, think he'd get cranky and start biting pretty soon. What if it lasts for days? :D

Yes it's quite chilly here - a bit more than I would like! Finally got to use that big coat that's been sitting in the closet since I went skiing in Colorado! :)

It's true. They didn't have AC anywhere when I traveled Europe. No one I know has a generator. I mean it's America, we are a "power house" nation lmao! I'm going to guess you don't have a fireplace. But, I would use mine if I ever had that problem not kitchen appliances. Jojackson where are you from the outback?

We don't have generators here, this kind of weather NEVER happens! We have air conditioners so we're fine when all the people die in Europe from heat waves. That's the kind of weather we are prepared for. This is a record breaking winter for us, there's no way to prepare for something totally uncharacteristic and unpredicted.

That really makes no sense.Texas does not have generators because they don't have cold winters? Generators have a lot of use and a smart thing to invest in no matter where you live, and should be sold everywhere. What happens when your typical 100 plus degree day happens and the electricity goes out for extended period of time say hurricane, tornado, who knows just a blackout they do happen ? You'll die in a heat wave like the europeans unless you have solar or gas running A/Cs and fans. That seems more logical for having them down south rather than for winters. I know Not everyone has room for them or live in condos or apts. ect , but hard to believe they don't have them. Hopefully everything gets back to normal with everyones electricity and heats comes back soon. There is several 1000 people still out around here for 3 days now.

Lol, we don't die in heat waves, we are used to that kind of weather. Heat waves don't come on suddenly here like they can in regions where heat isn't usually a problem. We see 90 degree temps starting in March easily, and they last until November. Heat stroke happens because you're not acclimated to the hot weather, not just pure heat alone. The power has and does go out in the summer. So we go swimming or just get out of the house, not like in the winter when you're potentially iced in or driving conditions are unsafe. Sure it's miserable just sitting in a hot house, but it's not going to kill anyone here since we're used to it. And there aren't a lot of recreational ways to warm up like there are to cool down.

You may think it makes no sense, but not everyone has money to spend on a generator they may use a few days max out of the year. I'm certainly not planning on getting one any time soon, even with our current conditions. It doesn't make sense to have one sitting around that you don't NEED imo. Would it be smart? Probably, but it's just not necessary and no one has them because there's never a need for them. If this happened more often then maybe you'd see more people with them. Maybe some of the country folk have them, but in a city there's really no need.

Last edited:
I really didnt think you were going to die but just being hypothetical :D, nor do I say go out buy a generator I just got the impression they dont have them in texas :eek:. I use one basically everyday as a commercial roofer and I use them at home to power the fields and woods for parties music and lights. So I guess Im just use to always seeing them around and its not even used for power outages. Heat Stroke can happen an instant I dont care how acclimated you are. I work on roofs with hot tar and long sleeves and pants in 100 degree weather I know all about heat stroke stay hydrated is the key.

Yeah we still have them available, it's just rare to meet anyone that actually owns one. The exceptions are good partiers. ;) Or fake campers...the ones that take half their house to the "woods" for the weekend. I wouldn't know what to do with one if you gave one to me honestly...

if your stove still works does your oven as well? if so turn it on and open the door you can heat the whole room, but be carefull!!!!!!!!

One would need a very expensive generator to run a house's AC unit. Generators for the average American are unnecessary because of our largely reliable grid.

One would need a very expensive generator to run a house's AC unit. Generators for the average American are unnecessary because of our largely reliable grid.

Reliable :rolleyes:

Tell that to the people freezing right now, bet they wish they had room and $400 investment. Im done justifying why generators are useful. I have never ran a a/c with one or used for power outage in my life, yet I seem to find it very useful and something that could come in handy if there was reason. They are loud though if you dont spend 10k.

Guess Id rather not be the Avg American.

Back
Top Bottom