Wrapping my chameleons up in blankets

One would need a very expensive generator to run a house's AC unit. Generators for the average American are unnecessary because of our largely reliable grid.

They are loud. We used to own one. We could power an AC unit, tv, and lights to the house fine plus more. It depends on the output wattage it provides.

Uh, when the power goes out, nobody in this part of town has power. But my stove works so i guess i could use that to heat the water. So the blanket thing was a stupid idea?

Since you have more than one cham the desperate trick I was once forced to use wouldn't work for you but: once during transporting my cham in cold weather my car died and during to long wait for someone to pick me up, I was forced to put him next to my skin (between my shirt & sweater/under my coat to keep him warm. It worked and he seemed calm/unstressed, probably because it was dark in there and he couldn't see me.;)

I lost power during an ice storm this week. I put my veiled in a small 'bird cage' and set her in the bathroom. I had hot water, so I ran the shower several times throughout the day (she wasn't in it!), so the bathroom got warm and steamy. It was the best I could do - I managed about 60 degrees, and thankfully it wasn't longer than a couple of days.

No disrespect, but yes. I've been reading people saying to do that a lot lately even though it's dangerous. Check out this thread.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/winter-weather-53571/

i totally understand your saftey conserns and would never normally endorse the use of the home oven to heat a house, but if its the difference between freezing to death, me or my cham & other pets, ill do whatever it takes hell ill put a barrel in the living room and have a good ole fire:eek: LoL
but thats just me;)

Heat some water in your oven and put it in a bottle. Put the bottle in a cooler, and put your lizards in the cooler in boxes.

Jojackson where are you from the outback?
Was for years yes, not anymore, but it was 40c/104f outside at 9am this morning, was still 91f at 2am last night, 102 right now in the shade!
Air conditioners are running pretty much 24/7, this is the peak of summer.
no rain for a week and when it did just made it worse lol.
This is what Im used to, winters here are quite mild, 25f would be the coldest it gets outside here where I am. :)

I've been thinking about this as well when we had a recent ice storm and below zero temps. Thought I'd heat rocks in a pan of water, wrap them in tinfoil and then cloth and use them to heat the chameleon cage. Thought they might keep the heat awhile.

Just a totally spontaneous tangent here, but I was reading recently that a crematorium in the uk was to trial 'energy recycling' by using the waste heat from the process to heat the water at the local swimming pool. Great Idea I think, but apparently locals are disgusted by the idea and calling it disrespectful!
Go Figure!
:D

Hey, i live in texas and we've been having quite a bit of power outages lately and the house gets REALLY cold and i started worrying about my chameleons because none of the heat lamps worked and it was like 40 degrees in the house. So i put them in the sleaves of some shirts and jackets and they fell asleep but i was wondering if this was safe for them. They are both adults, so what do you guys think

As mentioned above the blanket thing won't work. If you have a temp gun check some areas high in the house which might be warmer such as closet shelves and put them there.

What type of Chams? Because there has been quite a few really cold weeks the past couple of years here and the wild Veileds seem to cope with under 40 degrees just fine.

You think 40 degres is bad with no heat? We have been below zero and in the middle of a blizzard without heat for 5 days! Fortunately we still have power, we just ran out of oil. So the heat lamps worked during the day but at night I had to rely on my space heater to warm up the bedroom, living room, and reptile room by putting a fan next to it blowing the heat out of the bedroom into the living room and reptile room. I think I managed 50 degrees but i'm not sure since I don't have a working thermometer at the moment. I had to put my ball python in a carrier and bring her into the bedroom with me every night to keep her warm. Finally got oil today and both guys are fine, lows at night are actually good for them, as long as it isn't too low. If it were me I would 1) keep them close to you for warmth every so often, 2) see if you can find hot hands hand warmers anywhere and put your chameleons is boxes with those on the outsides of the boxes, probably 2 per box, on 2 sides. That should warm up the air in the box. 3) to warm up the house when you are there to watch them, you should see if you can get some kerosene lamps. They may be small but they give off a lot of heat and really light up a room. For bed time you can try wearing 2 shirts for a couple hours and putting them each the boxes with your chameleons. The body heat should warm and keep your chams cozy for a little while. If you can not do any of these, see if any animal hospitals are taking in pets for people without power. Animal hospitals should have generators and may board your little guys until your power returns.

Back
Top Bottom