Wow just wow

So I'm not sure if this is the place to post this but I have to vent about this. I was going to petco today to get a few supplies like hides for my leopard gecko and some more vines for my veiled.

I decided to make a trip to look at the reptiles as I normally do. Now I'm used to seeing horrible scenarios at big box stores but this was bad. I saw their ball pythons with sagging skin and a terribly dehydrated appearance but that's not the worst!

I saw a baby bearded dragon with the front half of its jaw totally gnawed off and it was an open wound with major infection. It tried to open its mouth and barely could. It was a very sad sight indeed. I felt so bad for it. It really makes me sad to see these kinds of things.

Attachments

• Bearded Dragon.jpg
    Bearded Dragon.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 284
So I'm not sure if this is the place to post this but I have to vent about this. I was going to petco today to get a few supplies like hides for my leopard gecko and some more vines for my veiled.

I decided to make a trip to look at the reptiles as I normally do. Now I'm used to seeing horrible scenarios at big box stores but this was bad. I saw their ball pythons with sagging skin and a terribly dehydrated appearance but that's not the worst!

I saw a baby bearded dragon with the front half of its jaw totally gnawed off and it was an open wound with major infection. It tried to open its mouth and barely could. It was a very sad sight indeed. I felt so bad for it. It really makes me sad to see these kinds of things.

You need to send a letter along with a copy of this picture to the Petco main office. Post the picture on Petco's web site. Call the store and ask to speak to the store manager and let him know that you sent corp. a letter with pictures. I'm sure that these animals are supposed to be checked at least once every shift if not several times a shift.
When I was in my local petco the other day they had 3-5 beardies in one of their habitats. There was one that was only half the size of the others. After standing there waiting to buy crickets for over 10 minutes and listening to the guy tell a customer about some animal in the reptile section that was poisonous and that they could only remove it if the customer was gonna buy it I walked out of the store. I realize that they only have these animals for a short time but that does not excuse the terrible conditions that they have them in. (this is the same store that when I went in with my son to pick out his fish I had to tell the guy working in the fish area how to tell the difference between a male and female molly). I only go to Petco or Petsmart if I have to. :mad:

That is terrible, and what is even worse, all too common. Whenever I stop at Petco I check out the Reptiles. It's always a sad expierence and I really don't know why I do it... Petco needs to hire employees who know how to care for their reptiles, or not have any at all.

Please for the animal's sakes, send in a letter.

Don't only send a letter - use social media. Twitter, Facebook, anywhere where you can attach proof of poor care to the company's name publicly is far more likely to get a response. Document more than this one animal's injuries if you can. Make it clear that this evidence of poor husbandry is not a one off occurrence.

Shame can be a powerful motivator. After all, you are not complaining because you want a discount - you want corporate policy on Herp care to change.

Yeah I'm going to go in there tomorrow and take some more photos and videos to plaster social media with. I'm also going to email corporate along with the photos and videos. If that little beardie is still there tomorrow I'm going to get pretty vocal with the manager. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Yeah I'm going to go in there tomorrow and take some more photos and videos to plaster social media with. I'm also going to email corporate along with the photos and videos. If that little beardie is still there tomorrow I'm going to get pretty vocal with the manager. I'll let you guys know what happens.

If by vocal you mean yelling or getting emotional that is a bad idea.

If you want to be taken seriously and not shrugged off as a nut job you must be calm, lucid, concise, and be able to describe the issues technically.

Write down with bullet points each issue you saw. Don't go into great detail. If you can sum up in single sentences it is best.

The most important thing you can do is lodge a formal complaint on their website.

If you're so inclined social media is ok but be careful. It is a fine line between nut that gets ignored and a concerned animal lover.

Above all, always be rational and calm!

I am convinced we can make a difference, but there is already a PETA and our best chance is to be the concerned,rational, customer who expects more from the pet store we choose to shop at.

Good luck.

Above all, always be rational and calm!

Absolutely. Clear, rational, polite, and firm. It's important to come across as knowledgeable and not nuts! PETA indeed has the nutjob angle covered.

Remember, the employees and manager at the local store may not have the empowerment they need to properly improve conditions or reject animal over stock. They may even just be kids working part time. Yes, some stores are better than others, but real positive change can only be affected from the corporate level down.

I'm not going to be irrational by any means. When I say vocal I mean I'm going to voice my opinion by bringing up the major focal points of what needs to be done, and what changes need to be made.

I'm not going to go in there hootin and hollerin like a mad man. Simply put I will speak with a manager about the conditions of the animals with a rational and calm demeanor. While expressing my concerns about the animals. Believe me I know that becoming belligerent and obnoxious will not help them to understand the seriousness of the situation. And not only that, but they will be less likely to listen to someone who acts that way.

that poor thing - thank you for doing something about it- get as many pics/vid as you can before you talk to them - I am sure they will remove it as soon as you say something to them - if for no other reason only so no one else sees what you are talking about- I would call the news on them - have them go in with you- we have "contact 13" here- they make ppl answer for stuff like this- ANYONE knows this animal is missing 1/2 his face ! sorry, you can not miss that ! shame on them !!! good for you !!

I'm not going to be irrational by any means. When I say vocal I mean I'm going to voice my opinion by bringing up the major focal points of what needs to be done, and what changes need to be made.

I'm not going to go in there hootin and hollerin like a mad man. Simply put I will speak with a manager about the conditions of the animals with a rational and calm demeanor. While expressing my concerns about the animals. Believe me I know that becoming belligerent and obnoxious will not help them to understand the seriousness of the situation. And not only that, but they will be less likely to listen to someone who acts that way.

Call the humane society or any other animal cruelty group you can find also, BAD PUBLICITY is what is needed, the only thing this corporation cares about is $$$$$$ and that might get attention. I have to stop now as this makes me so angry I might get to vocal.

This is sad. I get the feeling that the complaint will lead nowhere though. The animal will be dealt with "humanely". In other words, the animal will be euthanized. The manager will make sure to check up and deal with his sick animals sooner and deal with the rest of them "humanely" before customers get a glimpse at them. This is usually what happens... I hate to bring some ugly truth to the situation, but there really isn't much that can be done here. Perhaps if we all threw some money at the issue and took it to a courtroom with a respected organization, then it might fix these box store problems. I wish you good luck OP, there is a slim chance that the manager will see the error of his ways and repent. A slim chance is still a chance, hopefully conditions at your local box store can change.

Back
Top Bottom