wow...idk what to do.

amanda509

well..the time has come to admit i can no longer afford my horse unless i suddenly get a third job. the two jobs i already have are just too unreliable and ive been applying everywhere for the longest time and following up with no success...so of course, the most expensive thing has to go. i am seriously heartbroken, but even if i did keep her, id be too busy working to do much with her...i can seriously say i hate the world right about now..but there's nothing i can do. and what makes it worse? my birthday is next week..giving something up you love on your birthday is no fun.

230610_222477541095976_100000011947764_969941_3164721_n.jpg

225992_222477441095986_100000011947764_969937_4297785_n.jpg

253587_226256637384733_100000011947764_1000946_2957845_n.jpg

Can you lease or sub lease her out to someone that you can trust for a year until you can be in a better financial situation? That way you still have control over him/her.

Is your horse educated? When I was a teenager my Dad became unemployed so during that time I used to let the riding school use my horse for lessons during the week to supplement his keep as he was boarded at the riding school. It was enough to cover his feed and farrier cost.

If not maybe they can pay you a percentage per lesson for every time he is needed. Any way you could do that? Good riding schools always need good horse of different education levels.

Get creative :)

Can you lease or sub lease her out to someone that you can trust for a year until you can be in a better financial situation? That way you still have control over him/her.

Is your horse educated? When I was a teenager my Dad became unemployed so during that time I used to let the riding school use my horse for lessons during the week to supplement his keep as he was boarded at the riding school. It was enough to cover his feed and farrier cost.

If not maybe they can pay you a percentage per lesson for every time he is needed. Any way you could do that? Good riding schools always need good horse of different education levels.

Get creative :)

ive been trying to lease her for 3 months now..but nobody can afford it here :/ and the trainer at the stable im at hates her, because when she first came, she was a wild nut and challenged the trainer left and right...but now she is not completely trained, but she is a lot better than before and the trainer will never consider using her...

I know how you feel. I "lost" my horse right before I went to college. That was almost 30 years ago and it still stings the heart a bit. It really sucks. Sorry.

Deb

What are you training/educating her in? I see you have english tack on her.

Is there anyway you can cut down the cost of her up keep for the short term? If she is stabled can she just be turned out in the paddock so you dont have stabling and mucking out fees? (Weather permitting of course). Can you change her feed any if she is on any grain feed mix that you can cut down or supplment with extra lucerne?

I will keep thinking about it....sorry if my terminology is a bit off. US terms are sometimes different to Australia/Europe.

What are you training/educating her in? I see you have english tack on her.

Is there anyway you can cut down the cost of her up keep for the short term? If she is stabled can she just be turned out in the paddock so you dont have stabling and mucking out fees? (Weather permitting of course). Can you change her feed any if she is on any grain feed mix that you can cut down or supplment with extra lucerne?

I will keep thinking about it....sorry if my terminology is a bit off. US terms are sometimes different to Australia/Europe.

she has general training, rides western and english, but will buck like crazy if asked to canter in an arena, but will in a field no problem. she is very spookish and not safe to trail ride. but actually, i cant cut costs anywhere because she is already pasture boarded 24/7 even in bad weather, and doesnt eat grain, just grass and hay :/

Honestly sounds like you've to put more training on her even before you sell her, unless you basically give her away for free. How much is your board?

Ugh what a horrible position to be in, I'm so sorry! She's a lovely girl, I hope you figure out something soon.

Honestly sounds like you've to put more training on her even before you sell her, unless you basically give her away for free. How much is your board?

my board is 140 which isnt bad at all, cept the fact i make crap for cash. and ive had professionals try and work with her, and she will ALWAYS be spookish..its just her nature, and she will only stop bucking in the arena during canter after long term training..which i dont have the time for. otherwise, she's great. i let 4 year olds ride her all over the stable property. she also has close to perfect conformation, and would make a nice brood mare as she has adopted the foals at my last stable..would also make a great gaming horse, i just dont have the time or experience to really get her any further than what she is..other than her trail riding foolishness, i was content with her.

okay, so i thought of an idea to donate her to the local therapeutic riding group..but it will be tough as she is not dead broke and is a little spookish..but she LOVES kids..she will do anything for them..she lets a 3 year old autistic girl ride her all over the property...over the summer she let 3 little girls braid her tail and put flowers in it and another boarder came into the barn and accidentally threw a metal trash can lid in front of her, her eyes bulged out of her head and her head went up, but her feet didnt move an inch because she KNEW the little girls were behind her..

Sounds like you have a lot of weight on your shoulders. I think you need to make arrangements to get some of that weight off. The sooner you line something up the better. The important thing is to have a smooth transition.

For example if you try to keep this horse and things get too crazy you may end up too stressed and heartbroken. That may damage your whole persona. If you can make your life easier (sell the horse for example) you can still look back on it fondly instead of looking back at a total disaster. Then later when you are super rich :D you can buy a whole ranch instead of feeling sick whenever you see a horse.

if\ you\ need\ someone\to\ work\ with\ her\ ill\ do\ it.\ do\ you\ know\ when\ she\ had\ her\ teeth\ floated\ down\ last?\\ usually\ any\ problem\ is\ the\ result\ of\ a\ stubborn\ horse\ or\ a\ tooth\ thats\ becoming\ jagged.\ the\ cause\ of\ this\ is\ because\ unlike\ human\ teeth\ horse\ teeth\ keep\ growing\ if\ they\ dont\ rub\ against\ each\ other\ small\ points\ can\ cause\ pain.-my\ dad\ is\ a\ certified\ horse\ dentist\

if\ you\ need\ someone\to\ work\ with\ her\ ill\ do\ it.\ do\ you\ know\ when\ she\ had\ her\ teeth\ floated\ down\ last?\\ usually\ any\ problem\ is\ the\ result\ of\ a\ stubborn\ horse\ or\ a\ tooth\ thats\ becoming\ jagged.\ the\ cause\ of\ this\ is\ because\ unlike\ human\ teeth\ horse\ teeth\ keep\ growing\ if\ they\ dont\ rub\ against\ each\ other\ small\ points\ can\ cause\ pain.-my\ dad\ is\ a\ certified\ horse\ dentist\

I agree, my man cowboy use to throw a fit when I asked him to canter or was to hard in his mouth with his western bit. The vet, who usually floated his teeth, said all was good. We finally went to a certified horse dentist, and all his back teeth were jagged and causing pain. He was fine after all healed.

I'm gonna have to give up cowboy soon as well. I lease him, but board is going up and I cant find a good job either. Plus I barely have the time for him anymore and with senior year and trying to find a new job, I can't dedicate nearly enough time. And its killing me because when I first started working with him I took care of his leg injury for a year and was out everyday walking him and wrapping his legs. After that we've just really worked hard and gained so much trust and experience together. He's my baby.

she has had her teeth floated and checked once a year since ive had her..3 years..so its not her teeth sadly :/ i wish it was as easy of a fix as that..

I agree, my man cowboy use to throw a fit when I asked him to canter or was to hard in his mouth with his western bit. The vet, who usually floated his teeth, said all was good. We finally went to a certified horse dentist, and all his back teeth were jagged and causing pain. He was fine after all healed.

I'm gonna have to give up cowboy soon as well. I lease him, but board is going up and I cant find a good job either. Plus I barely have the time for him anymore and with senior year and trying to find a new job, I can't dedicate nearly enough time. And its killing me because when I first started working with him I took care of his leg injury for a year and was out everyday walking him and wrapping his legs. After that we've just really worked hard and gained so much trust and experience together. He's my baby.

dont you wish it was the olden days again? where everyone had a horse or two because they actually used them for things? ugh..i do..because then my horse wouldnt just be a benefit to just me..and my whole family would be taking the fall when she sells :/ they think she's just some dumb stupid animal...

Look at all the horse people chimmin' in with suggestions of help and compassion.
makes my faith in us even better.
I totally get it, threw out 1850.00 in cash about 2 hours ago for my board
I really hope just one great job comes to you so you can keep her AND still have time to ride
Anne

Back
Top Bottom