Would this be a good plant light?

jannb

Chameleon Enthusiast
I got a new free range tree for my livingroom and need to know if this is a good plant light?
@snitz427
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08342W6NW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1AGUPKP8P5NZ7&psc=1

The new tree

170A051D-808D-46CE-BA60-F32E913E36DD.jpeg
7877C828-FA80-4653-9F72-DBA99978D8F4.jpeg

It will be replacing my old fake tree here.

1E190B95-A640-4A8B-9962-DE466FEE1B97.jpeg

Last edited:
Is that a ficus benjamina?
Most ficus trees enjoy bright indirect or filtered light with variegated varieties happily able to take medium light. Bright, direct light may result in scalding of the leaves and leaf loss.
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/ficus/ficus-tree-care.htm

If so, partly to consider is that too much direct light? The light you're looking at has a lot of... umph, but is it too much for a ficus (or whatever tree that is)? It partly depends on how much distance between the light and the tree (wonderful looking tree). Plenty of light for the top half—at 11"x12", IDK about lower down (not the distance—the shade from the top half of the tree). Also, IDK if the data provided is misleading; the PPFD data sheet says it was tested in a 2 x 2 ft. grow tent. Aluminum reflector surface on the inside of the tent? That would skew data. Out in the open, IDK if it'd hit the bottom half at all. That's a pretty bushy tree.

Wait... is that the same tree in the last (indoor) pic? If so, forget some of that; it looks like a lot of light comes in through those windows.

That is a pretty good plant light. I know a guy who uses it to grow his pot plants, and they are very big, bushy, and healthy!
I'm not surprised at all. Looks like that could be the market they're aiming at.

I'm also a little concerned about the warranty. The video says 5 years, but the Amazon page says:
90 days money-back guarantee plus three (3) years limited warranty. Value for money guaranteed,
IDK what that means(?) 🤷‍♂️ Written words take precedence over video.

To make a comparison, the above draws 100W. Three Sansi 36W floods draw 108W (8% more), and have a 5 year written warranty. Having a couple of these puppies on the Missus' larger plants, they're amazing (she rotates the plants each morning). Three of those aimed at this tree from around the circumference could be awesome, and would illuminate all of the foliage—not just the top half. With coupons, I think the price could be close. Might only need 2 of them.

It's up to you; I just think about options like I always do. :)

Thank you! What light would you recommend? Do you have a link! I believe it is a Benjamin ficus but it doesn’t have a tag. It’s a very large tree 8 for high and about 3 foot across. It will be replacing the fake tree, in the third picture in front of the window, but we never open the window and I don’t want the tree to die.

Thank you! What light would you recommend? Do you have a link!
That's largely subjective. I admit to having a liking for Sansi's products (like some folks prefer "X feeder vendor" or "Y breeder", etc. I like Sansi because we're impressed with their products, they have a 5 year warranty, and so many coupons/deals are available. I'm also sure their are other good brands/vendors. The lights I mentioned above are: https://www.sansiled.com/36w-led-grow-light-bulb-full-cycle.html
You can find technical data & specs. on that page. You can find current coupons/deals on google at any time by googling sansi coupons. (Read any fine print.)
Feel free to browse their other options (click LED Grow Lights at the top of the page.) Each is designed for different applications/purposes.

I believe it is a Benjamin ficus but it doesn’t have a tag. It’s a very large tree 8 for high and about 3 foot across. It will be replacing the fake tree, in the third picture in front of the window, but we never open the window and I don’t want the tree to die.
It probably won't die, but ficus are (IME) extremely temperamental—it may drop a lot/most of its leaves. Hopefully not—your climate is different. Even with the windows closed, it should get plenty of indirect sunlight for growth.

Are you looking at mercury vapor for UVB?

Back
Top Bottom