Would aluminum sculpting mesh work for a custom habitat?

I’ve used screen right from the window area at Home Depot always worked they got aluminum or a soft black kind I think it’s a type of fiber glass

I looked into that, I don't want to use door screen because my cam really enjoys climbing on the sides of her habitat. Plus I need something strong enough to zip tie vines to. But I appreciate the suggestion.

I would avoid aluminum. It can be sharp, if it tears, breaks, or wears, it can deliver harmful aluminum and other potential toxins to a drinking Chameleon, and it is more difficult to work with than carbon screen. You can google “1/4” pvc coated or vinyl coated screen”, otherwise, the high visibility carbon screen at box stores is the easiest option. Crickets will walk right out of 1/4” screen, by the way.

The aluminum is what is used for almost every screen reptile cage that is sold online that I’ve seen. The 1/4 coated screen is all galvanized steel which does leach toxins into water, plus there’s no black coated, only green coated, and only in 1/2 that I can find in less that a huge industrial roll. Plus the wholes are too big and crickets can get out, where this stuff is 1/8th and they won’t be able to get out. I have no intention of using window screen but I appreciate the continued suggestions. I’m wondering if anyone has ever used sculpting mesh for a habitat. If no one has I will see how it works for me, I don’t mind the price or difficulty of using it. The mesh is coated in the same vinyl as the hardware cloth. It’s made to be outside in the sun for sculptures and not melt off when heated, or exposed to sunlight.

Back
Top Bottom