Worries on laying eggs

Hello! I have a 6 month old female veiled chameleon who just layed some eggs today for the first time (so proud of her)! Sadly after laying them she started shaking her head back and forth, turned from a beautiful pattern to dark black, then had her eyes shut and wasn’t moving. I started crying and shaking as i moved her gently over and over but she wouldn’t move. i was convinced she was dead so i picked her up and she still wasn’t moving, but after a few seconds she began to slowly move. I’m not sure why she did this? This is my first chameleon and it is her first time so i want advice on this. Some more info is that she was egg bound but after a trip to the vet and some nexton powder, she immediately began digging.

Nexton vitamin powder you mean?
How many eggs did she lay?
Is she ok now?
yes that powder! it was given to me by the vet. and i’m not too sure, i just saw a group of eggs at the end of the tunnel she made but i’ll check tomorrow morning. and yes but she is still dark. Also when holding her to see if she was ok, she kept doing the digging motion im my hand but very slowly. I do have videos on how she looked while laying them ??‍♀️

Nexton vitamin powder you mean?
How many eggs did she lay?
Is she ok now?
hello! i counted the eggs and there is either 52 or 54 of them! but my chameleon is very dark, isn’t moving much, and her eyes are sunken in so i assume she is dehydrated.
what do i do??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 129
Can you try to get more pics of her. She looks like she has edema.
i just researched what it is, i thought it was normal for her to have that. she is sleeping right now but i’ll take a picture, it doesn’t show it but i did notice it recently and wondered what it is, is there any way to help it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 110
If she didn't lay all the eggs she will likely die...so you need to take her to a good chameleon vet to find out if that's what's going on ASAP and she may need to be spayed.

If she didn't lay all the eggs she will likely die...so you need to take her to a good chameleon vet to find out if that's what's going on ASAP and she may need to be spayed.
she can’t release them on her own? i thought it took a few days to lay the eggs, it only took her a night to lay 52, should i wait another day?

They should lay the eggs at once. I've never heard of one laying them one clutch in more than one batch.

52 is too many eggs anyway IMHO. You need to keep,her temperature in the basking area in the very low 80's F and control her diet....not starve her but not feed her too much.

If she does have retained eggs and it's not fixed ASAP you will likely lose her.

They should lay the eggs at once. I've never heard of one laying them one clutch in more than one batch.

52 is too many eggs anyway IMHO. You need to keep,her temperature in the basking area in the very low 80's F and control her diet....not starve her but not feed her too much.

If she does have retained eggs and it's not fixed ASAP you will likely lose her.
i counted the eggs multiple times and that’s how many she layed, i thought they were supposed to lay 30-85 for a veiled chameleon. other than that she is light green now (woke up a few times and i was able to see) her eyes look a lot better but she isn’t really eating what i offer her, she just has been wanting to sleep but i’d assume that normal since she had jist layed the eggs. she definitely does look thinner but i will update you on a picture of her tomorrow when she is up and moving. thank you so much for your advice, i will try to see a vet but the last time i did it was pretty expensive :/

i counted the eggs multiple times and that’s how many she layed, i thought they were supposed to lay 30-85 for a veiled chameleon. other than that she is light green now (woke up a few times and i was able to see) her eyes look a lot better but she isn’t really eating what i offer her, she just has been wanting to sleep but i’d assume that normal since she had jist layed the eggs. she definitely does look thinner but i will update you on a picture of her tomorrow when she is up and moving. thank you so much for your advice, i will try to see a vet but the last time i did it was pretty expensive :/
Hi. I’ve been following your post and feel I need to add my 2 cents.
After laying, they are up in their basking spot and hungry. What you’ve said your chameleon is doing does not sound normal. Chams hide that anything is wrong until they are quite ill and distressed.
@kinyonga is one of the most experienced and knowledgeable members on the forum and is not prone to exaggeration or scare tactics. I understand all too well how expensive veterinary care is, but your sweet girl really needs a vet check sooner rather than later. With the weekend coming up, even if you could find an emergency clinic skilled in reptiles, the cost will be double and triple a regular vet visit. I hope you’ll take this to heart and please keep us posted on how your girl is doing.

After laying, they are up in their basking spot and hungry. What you’ve said your chameleon is doing does not sound normal. Chams hide that anything is wrong until they are quite ill and distressed.
@kinyonga is one of the most experienced and knowledgeable members on the forum and is not prone to exaggeration or scare tactics. I understand all too well how expensive veterinary care is, but your sweet girl really needs a vet check sooner rather than later. With the weekend coming up, even if you could find an emergency clinic skilled in reptiles, the cost will be double and triple a regular vet visit. I hope you’ll take this to heart and please keep us posted on how your girl is doing.

hello! it’s 12:40 am and i do have school tomorrow, i don’t have too much power over it. i will keep an eye on her tomorrow and see what i can do. last time i went to the vet they asked for $300 to do an x ray, i received a powder from them instead as the less costly option and that is what got her to lay the eggs, if she still isn’t eating tomorrow or is lethargic, i will try my best to get her to a vet. I’m still pretty young so to do that i woukd have to convince my parents again to let me take her, this is why i’ve been trying to find alternatives. thank you for your advice!

Back
Top Bottom