Worried about Veiled babies... black spots?

sarahog

A few of my babies have little black spots on them, mostly on their heads, looks like some of their scales (scales?) have turned black. I'm wondering if this could be little scabs (see picture) from rubbing their heads on branches when they shed recently? Could my branches be too rough? Or is this something else?? Any ideas/thoughts on this?

Attachments

• 100_1572.jpg
    100_1572.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 236
They are pretty far from the basking light, it's warm here so I only have the basking light on a few times per day...mostly in the morning when it's a little cooler. I've done a skin test several times to make sure it's not hot (held my hand under the light several inches above the closest branch to the light and felt a little warmth but not hot at all). They are a good 1.5' at least from the hanging basking light. The uvb light is about 8" from the highest branch. The other light that's on all day is just a house bulb for light not heat. The spots almost look like scabs or scrapes maybe..?

How many are together? Almost looks like little scratches from climbing over each other. My babies are almost three months - They tend to be rude and just walk all over each other!

There are 7 together and they are 2 months old, the enclosure is large but then again they do (like you said) just barge all over each other! I'll try going to 4 housed together instead of 7 and see if that helps! There are so many leaves and branches/vines you'd think everyone could have their own space but I swear they all want to go after the same dang cricket at a time like it's a race to see who can steal it first!! Cute little crazies!

There are 7 together and they are 2 months old, the enclosure is large but then again they do (like you said) just barge all over each other! I'll try going to 4 housed together instead of 7 and see if that helps! There are so many leaves and branches/vines you'd think everyone could have their own space but I swear they all want to go after the same dang cricket at a time like it's a race to see who can steal it first!! Cute little crazies!

I have 9 almost 3 month olds in a large cage ... they generally do their own thing and have favorite places but they do tend to climb over each other at times. A few will be going to new homes soon and the rest will be in their own cages. I'm pretty sure it's just from them climbing on each other. Just watch them and separating into smaller groups would be good.

I have 9 almost 3 month olds in a large cage ... they generally do their own thing and have favorite places but they do tend to climb over each other at times. A few will be going to new homes soon and the rest will be in their own cages. I'm pretty sure it's just from them climbing on each other. Just watch them and separating into smaller groups would be good.

Thanks Karen, will do :) If you have a female available I'd be interested...how can anyone pass up an Oozle baby?! How many babies did you hatch from their clutches? Didn't you have eggs in the 150+ range from her and Logan?

those are just from when the babies scratch each other and sorry if some one already said that i just answered your question i was to lazy to read any other of the repsonses:p

Learned something new today, that babies will scratch eachother up. How long would something like that take to heal?

i hope the little babies are gonna be alright!

I think they'll be okay Golden, it doesn't seem to phase them at all! They are eating like crazy and are super active. They are roaming around right up until it's lights out and then some! Oh boy how addicting they are! I love turning on the lights in the morning and seeing little sleepy eyes and love seeing babies jet toward their prey (I swear they think they are long tongued beardies the way they chase those crickets down!)...love love love them!

Thats wonderful!

I am so excited to breed veils! i've been breading fish for years now but the reptiles are newer to me. I have my Male veil at the moment and am getting a similarly aged ( maybe 1-2 months younger) female veil, giving them about 3/4 of a year to mature and then breeding them!!!

I love the little ones to death! so adorable

on top of that i have a pair of colombian tegu's whom i plan to breed! my two little cuties!

Just make sure you search out the cheapest way to buy feeders before they hatch if you do have babies :) these little guys eat A TON, I think one of my babies (Hulk baby) would eat until he exploded if I'd let him!

My male, Ringo, has the little black spots when he turns brown. He really gets under the basking lamp. Now my female stays under the basking lamp most of the time and she doesnt have them. Idk why he does though.

Back
Top Bottom