Worms..??

MissMeela

Established Member
I'm curious about which is better between meal worms, wax worms and super worms. Most things I've read said that meal worms aren't that healthy and they can cause impaction? Although horn worms and silk worms may be the best, they are a little too spendy and harder to come by. Super worms scare me.. Lol but if they are better than wax worms, then I can get use to handling them for my 6-7mo old veiled male chameleon. Any thought?

Well, this is how I look at it...

Eating,

Mealworms= Shining suit of armor

Waxworms= Greasy Burger and Fries

Superworms= Addicting substance

I would say that the best out of the three is Superworms. I don't feed waxworms as they are very fatty and have little nutrition and I don't feed mealworms because they are high in chitin and cause impaction. I do feed superworms, but you need to be careful because they are very addicting to chams. Also... Try not to get on their bad side... Lol... :eek: ;)

Out of that list, I only feed superworms. They are the easiest (after crickets) to come by, easy to keep alive, etc. Some chams can become addicted to them (wont eat anything else) but if they get hungry enough they will and will switch back over. Its just a matter of having tough love for them. That said, it's not good to have anything as 50%-100% of a cham's diet, so keep up the variation as much as possible.

Not sure why superowms are scary, I find them fascinating, and are the only feeder I'll touch with my hands (not tweezers) lol Totally a wimp like that! They "bite", but you can't even feel it, it'll be more of an irritation than anything!

Since we are on the topic of worms, since I didn't see butterworms on the list, and they are just as easy to come by as some other feeders, be wary about them! They apparently have some good content to pass on to chams as a variety, HOWEVER, on several blog things I've seen some reactions going around that hasn't had a definitive answer why this happens come up. (Before I had seen this I fed butterworms (25) every month and didn't see this reaction, but now I'm uncertain!) So IF you go down that route, feed them very sparingly, and watch for any reactions!!

Happy feeding! :)

Thank you!

Thanks so much for your responses! I'm looking into getting some super worms soon! As for being scared of them, the one time I had looked into buying them, I opened a container and they dang near came flying out at me (or so it seemed) bcuz they were so active. Lol ;) But if they are better than either of the two options I previously stated, then I'm just gonna have to get use to them!! Thanks again! :)

Like MsCham mentioned, butterworms are also an option. My chameleon refuses to eat them, but that's just mine...:rolleyes:. I strongly recommend black soldier fly maggots as well (aka. Phoenixworms, Reptiworms, Calciworms.)

The best worm to feed in my opinion are the silkworms. They are very high in calcium and low in fat. Supers are ok to feed too, but are more fatty.

Back
Top Bottom