Workin on it

whoswho

Hey everyone, my first post, and oddly enough my first cham. I had a question like most rookies do.

I'm trying to build my yemen cham, Dionysus, an outdoor enclosure and a new indoor. He's only about 2 months old, but i want to build them while i have time (and money).

Normally I have no problem building things, but I was wondering what to fill it with. I am a chef with my own organic veggie garden. I was wondering if i were to use organic soil instead of substrate if that would be ok for the cham.

I was actually going to transplant 2 or three collard green plants, and spinach at the base of the enclosure. I dont know what the effect would be if he were to get the soil in his body since their at the base and all...if anything i could hang them.

also what kind of material should i use for the sides? Simple mesh? or some nylon netting? I'm building a wooden framed enclosure that is 3 ft squared and about 4 feet tall minus the stand.

I'm also getting creative for his new indoors enclosure. I found an antique wooden file cabinet that im going to strip, and fill up with substrate and goodies all over. I'm still really new with all of this, but since i have skills in carpentry and gardening i might as well use them :) hopefully you guys might have some insight for me. sorry if i was a little scatter brained, but thanks in advance :)

Welcome to the forums!
I can tell you from experience that aluminum screen that you get at home depot or lowes can tear the nails out of your chams toes. I used the petguard screen that is a super strong nylon or something. It has small enough holes that your feeders dont get out and they cant chew through it, but is pliable enough to not tear out nails. It may not be something you would want to put your heat light directly on so make sure you dont burn the screen on the top. I have a moveable bracket that I made so I can raise or lower the heat lamp if needed. I have more pics of my cages at this link. I have panthers but the care and cage sizes are usually comparable. I put pothos vine, and sheffrela in my cages. Organic soil should be fine. Hope this helps.
http://picasaweb.google.com/bcstinso/Chams#

Sweet! Thanks for the help. I just bought a few passion flowers, and i moved some honey suckle into the enclosure. The frame is almost done, i just have to sand it down and varnish it. I'll post some pics asap....need a camera, but i can do work.

The outside cage will look pretty nice, It gets really hot and humid in VA, so I'll need to make some shade for the lil guy. other than that, it should be pretty cool. the indoor enclosure isnt as nice, but it gets the job done.

I have tons of honeysuckle out back. I may try to replant some in a pot and see if I can get it to vine on the inside of the outdoor cage. Looking forward to seeing your progress. Let me know if you hit any snags. This forum has really great info if I cant answer your questions. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom