Worf is shedding and not eating much. Normal?

gideonus

Last Saturday at the Herp Show in San Francisco's Cow Palace, I purchased a 4-month old male veiled. I'll be posting pictures of my custom enclosure soon, but in the meantime, I wanted some feedback from people about the fact that "Worf" is shedding and seems not very interested in food (so far I've offered him medium sized cricks, greens, and Total Bites. In the past 3 days, he's eaten maybe 8 crickets. A few times he's eaten out of my hand, or from a cup placed close to him. He looks healthy, but doesn't explore much, preferring to remain pretty much at the very top. The temps are right (85-90 deg. at the basking spot and about 75 overall, auto misting for 2 minutes 3 times a day, and there is plenty of navigation trails and foliage. He's in a 18x18x36 all screen enclosure raised up above eye level at the basking spot.

So my question, is it normal during moulting that appetite diminishes? I'm starting to become concerned, as this is my first cham, and while I've done a great deal of research and set things up exactly as I've read they should be, perhaps I'm missing something. That's the only reason I can think of for his poor appetite.

Another contributing factor is the stress of being moved. You have had him less than a week. It is completely normal for them to eat very little while they acclimate to their new surroundings.

What is Total Bites?--not dead insects!

Yeah i was gonna say isnt that dead insects in a can??

Total Bites (Nature Zone) is a cricket gutload that combines all the needs of a cricket, including water all in one. I heard great things about it, and the crickets just eat it up. It's green and comes in little bitesized pieces ready to feed (contains spirulina). Might try it myself!

They also make Total Bites for reptiles that like vegetable matter and my buddy, who bought a male and female at the same time, says that his juvy veiled are eating it up (they're a tad bigger than Worf and seem to have already shed). Anyway, Worf is now shedding his head skin and tail and seems disinterested in food, so I guess I'll just give him some time to acclimate.

Back
Top Bottom