Word of warning for commercial gutload users

I see u have Ginger,which is what I used along with a little bit of the Garlic,they are both very valuable in the dry gutload recipe.

I use ginger, a small amount of garlic, turmeric, and cinnamon, as my spices, I also have various herbs. I use garlic and cinnamon for specific reasons one of them is actually because I have a huge problem with ants at my house and had issues with them getting into my insect cages for the gutload, when I added the cinnamon and garlic it ended up deterring that.

I use ginger, a small amount of garlic, turmeric, and cinnamon, as my spices, I also have various herbs. I use garlic and cinnamon for specific reasons one of them is actually because I have a huge problem with ants at my house and had issues with them getting into my insect cages for the gutload, when I added the cinnamon and garlic it ended up deterring that.
Great,I use my
"Ginger n Garlic" on the dry gutload.
The ancient herb and spice knowledge was passed on by the Ancient ancestors for more than 5000 years. Ginger was first discovered in south-east Asia, and it has been highly regarded for it’s healing properties as a universal medicine.
Garlic is rich in nutrients like Selenium, Quercetin and Vitamin C that helps treat eye infections and swellings.
Together in a very slight amount to make the Dry gutload will "prevent" lots eye problem.
U will have to observe ur chameleon's eyes daily,prevention is always better than the treatment afterwards,and these are my health chameleon eyes "weapons" and so far so good,none of my babies and adult panther chams ever has any eye closed problems!

I have only ever had one eye problem that hasn't been a preexisting problem that I have solved with care. However I am not positive what is with Ryker's eyes and so I am just kind of guessing anymore with his "treatment". My vet who has treated all my chameleons is very lost with him too.

I will have to look into making my own i currently use Repashy super load sometimes bug burger, Many leafy green, bug buffet and water crystals. I tried roaches and they didn't like them. I try every few months. I use crickets, hornworms, superworms, bsfl, and sometimes silkworms. Depending on what's available. You finally up and about doing better?

I did some research on the ginger n garlic,they are both great for the eye closed prevention ,when I read some of the dry gutload blogs from Sandrachameleon,plus the results on my research,it connects together with the health on the chams eyes,prevention is always better then the treatment after,if we do everything correct,the chance for the cham get sick is very minimal.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/todays-gutload.862/

I have never had any issue with any of my chameleons accepting roaches... I don't know why XD

Personally I like roaches better than the cricket,except the new born do need to consume pinheads,all my junior chams are all train with eating dubia n red runner along with silky n others.

I have tried several times to get them to eat them. I have tried not feeding for a few days then trying no luck. So I try every now and again. I try to give as much variety as possible. Gutload as well as I can with switching fruits and vegetables every so often.

Do you still find feeders are happy to eat it when garlic is included- it's not too pungent then?
Do you buy it dry powdered?

Do you still find feeders are happy to eat it when garlic is included- it's not too pungent then?
Do you buy it dry powdered?
The trick is slightly tiny little amount mix in with other gutload,my roaches do eat them,u can try put a tiny bit ginger or garlic powder on the orange or carrots ,and watch them both disappeared in a day.....then prepared to be ur own chef,the flavors are endless with ur own imagination :rolleyes:
I do use fresh grinding sometimes,but powder form is more easy access.

.then prepared to be ur own chef,the flavors are endless with ur own imagination :rolleyes:
Reminds me of Remi in 'Ratatouille' when he's experimenting eating cheese and strawberries together -ha ha:ROFLMAO:(y):D
Thanks for the info- just found some on Amazon so will defo be adding it to the mega mix! Thanks so much for all input from all:)

Reminds me of Remi in 'Ratatouille' when he's experimenting eating cheese and strawberries together -ha ha:ROFLMAO:(y):D
Thanks for the info- just found some on Amazon so will defo be adding it to the mega mix! Thanks so much for all input from all:)
Im glad our kitchen skill telepathy are working ,we can all learn n share with each other,and that include u @Andee also....(y)

I have added tumeric to my gutload, also.

I don't think chameleons "choose" prey. They eat what moved and they can catch. They didn't think about it being a vertebrate or not and they don't think about the fact that they will get specific nutrients from one item or another, it happens by chance and my eating a variety of foods, that eat a variety of foods themselves.
Smaller chameleon species would easily find small frogs, salamanders, tiny ground geckos, and any number of non insect items. Preformed A is not limited to vertebrate prey. It's also found in the eyes of other Arthropoda.
I don't believe that insects have the storage mechanisms in their livers to store D3 and A, which is one reason they generally are constant feeders, because they need to eat a lot of food to maintain the proper levels of nutrients in their body.
I think chameleons can be kept without feeding vertebrate prey, just fine, but I also don't think that feeding appropriate vertebrate items would be anything but helpful, as the organs of small lizards will have natural preformed A and dietary calcium, D3, iron, and other nutrients. If I had the time and resources, I'd breed anoles and geckos and offer them as feeders on occasion, for all of my chameleons. I see value in it, as part of an overlooked, even if small part of a natural diet. Chameleons store A and even an occasional lizard snack could supply them with what they need, but would not get from an exclusively insect diet, in nature. 5% of a total diet could still have very important roles and we are fooling ourselves to believe a chameleon would turn down a prey item that they can catch and consume. It's not in a predator's nature to pass up a meal and even if the only reason they are consuming non-insect prey out of lack of insect choices, those prey items are still contributing nutrients they wouldn't get from onlyneating insects.
I don't think adding supplements to your gutload is harmful, but I think that is not a replacement for dusting the feeders, as the product is intended to be used, for guaranteed potency and delivery of the target vitamins.
I've never had eye problems, once preformed A dusting was implemented. I also believe humidity, misting duration, and other factors play key roles in eye health.

Back
Top Bottom