Won't shoot her tounge

Toothless the cham

Established Member
I don't know if this is a very urgent problem or not. She has been like this since I got her. Here's some background. I got her in a pet store near Crystal lake called birds and beasts. I don't think they knew how to take care of the chameleons 100% but they kind of knew what they were doing. pretty sure they're fed her like 20 crickets a day so they were over feeding her. when I looked at the crickets they didn't seem to be dusted at all. The first day I got her she did shoot her tounge at one hornworm. Than for the past month she hasn't. I don't thing she is incapable she is just unwilling. O have been feeding her by putting the food directly in her mouth when she is gapeing. For the past month she has not shot her tounge once. Of you send me the health form I will with it out. If I should see a vet please tell me. I have a recommended one about half an hour away. Any other help is highly appreciated.

I don't know if this is a very urgent problem or not. She has been like this since I got her. Here's some background. I got her in a pet store near Crystal lake called birds and beasts. I don't think they knew how to take care of the chameleons 100% but they kind of knew what they were doing. pretty sure they're fed her like 20 crickets a day so they were over feeding her. when I looked at the crickets they didn't seem to be dusted at all. The first day I got her she did shoot her tounge at one hornworm. Than for the past month she hasn't. I don't thing she is incapable she is just unwilling. O have been feeding her by putting the food directly in her mouth when she is gapeing. For the past month she has not shot her tounge once. Of you send me the health form I will with it out. If I should see a vet please tell me. I have a recommended one about half an hour away. Any other help is highly appreciated.
Hey hun here is the link to the help form just copy and paste over and fill it out with as much detail as possible and include pics of her cage lights down.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/

well there could have been a few things that have happened, one a calcium or vitamin deficiency. this is most common
2 an injury whether it be from a feeder or something else
or 3 tongue paralysis, which I doubt she has
whatever it may be tongue problems are not a good sign. I would take her to the vet

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - she is a female veiled around the age of 9 months I've had her for about a month.
Handling - I only move her during maintenance and feeding
Feeding - I'm feeding her crickets and wax worms and superworms I tried to feed her dubias but she doesn't seem to like those. I feed her however much she wants. She is fed every other day. For a little while I was using the fluker's brand. Now I am using pig roach and cricket food and making my own water crystals.
Supplements - I'm using the reptile calcium every other feeding and using the multivitamin reptile calcium once at the begining and end of each week.
Watering - I use to mist King and to set it so goes off for 2 minutes 3 times a day once it 9:30 to 9:32 once at 1:30 to 1:32 and once at 5:35 to 5:32. I do not see my chameleon drinking that often the only times I see you're drinking is when I spray the water directly in her mouth and I only do so when her eyes seem to be sunken.
Fecal Description - from what I see in the cage for fecal matter is black and white. it does not yellow and I do not believe she is dehydrated right now.
History - all that I know was when I got her she just got out of receptivity she was in a pet store called birds and beasts and she seems to be getting over fed everyday.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - the cage we use is mainly screen. It is a 2 by 2 by 4 cage.
Lighting - her main light is a reptisun UVB led. I'm not exactly sure what her heating light is but the normal cage temperature is around 73 degrees and the basking in temperature is 82 degrees Fahrenheit. the lights turn on around 7 in the morning and turn off around 8 at night.
Temperature - as I said before the normal gauge temperature is around 75 in the basking spot is around 82 degrees Fahrenheit. The lowest overnight temperature is around 60 degrees Fahrenheit. To measure these temps I use a zoo med heat and humidity thermometer.
Humidity - the average humidity in the cages around 40%. I am using the mistking system for 2 minutes 3 times a day. I'm using the same thing I used to measure the temperature of the zoo med heat and humidity thermometer.
Plants - yes I am using live plants. honestly I don't know the names of them but I do know they for one or chameleon safe but two of them are not great for climbing.
Placement - the cage is in my room. It is not necessarily near any fans or air vents but sometimes I have one or two cats that will walk in here. The top of the cage is around 7 feet from the floor.
Location - in st-charles just outside of Chicago.

Current Problem - she has not shot her tongue since the first day I got her. I'm just worried about her and would do anything to get her healthy. Right now I have to actually take her out of the cage to feed her otherwise she won't eat.

So you’re feeding her by inserting the food directly in her mouth? Also, as far as I know l, they don’t make an led light that produces uvb for reptiles. Perhaps you have a combo hood: one uvb fluorescent and led daylight bulbs?

Send some pics of your Cham.

As to feeding, have you spent some time watching her feed? That is, get some lively crickets, put them in a feeder cup, or else free range a bunch, hide somewhere in the room where you can see her, but she can’t see you, and spend a half hour watching. If she definitely sees the prey, but refuses to use her tongue, then I’d take her to the vet.

Hey there is this the female you and your dad just got that you built the new enclosure for? Sounds like she needs a Vet. Tongue issues can be a few things. I would bet she had improper husbandry prior to you.

However I just want to check a few things as well. As already mentioned above what exactly is the UVB lighting your using? Is it a T8 or T5 and are you using a 5.0 or 10.0 bulb for her?
Also with your supplements... So the one at nearly every feeding is the one without D3 right? The other one if it has D3 with the multivitamin should only be used 2 times per month not 2 times a week. Do you know what kind you are using that is with D3?

Hey there is this the female you and your dad just got that you built the new enclosure for? Sounds like she needs a Vet. Tongue issues can be a few things. I would bet she had improper husbandry prior to you.

However I just want to check a few things as well. As already mentioned above what exactly is the UVB lighting your using? Is it a T8 or T5 and are you using a 5.0 or 10.0 bulb for her?
Also with your supplements... So the one at nearly every feeding is the one without D3 right? The other one if it has D3 with the multivitamin should only be used 2 times per month not 2 times a week. Do you know what kind you are using that is with D3?
Did I say week ment month

Bill Strand has a podcast about chameleons not shooting thier tongue, I believe it was a vitamin deficiency. I think it was with John Courtney Smith. I’ll look up that episode and post a link.

Use fresh gutloads like dandelion greens, collard greens, escarole, mustard greens instead of "cricket food".

Should be using plain calcium with NO D3 every feeding.
Does your multivitamin have D3 in it? If you can post photos of your supplement labels showing the ingredients.

Sounds like there is a deficiency somewhere... Possibly lacking in D3.

Back
Top Bottom