Wobbly cham: help!

Stripes

Hey everybody! My 6 month old male Cham seems to be very wobbly when he walks/climbs? He also sits low to the ground (see photo 1) as opposed to normally. He only leaves his cage when I clean it and when he is out he is on his basking tree is a sunny spot by the window. He seems to spend a lot of time at the bottom of his cage just sitting with his belly low to the ground. As he walks, he wavers back and forth and he seems to have less control of his legs? He is currently shedding so he hasn't eaten as much, however he is drinking as normal. He has been getting his calcium supplement as normal like I always have given it to him, so I don't think it's a lack of calcium. His uv b bulb is only 2 months old. He has a 70 watt heat bulb. Temps are from 80-90 degrees Ferinheit. Humidity is 60% normally and 80% after I mist. I mist 3-4 times per day. It's cold where I live so we have pretty low humidity so he does live in a glass/screen combo cage to keep in humidity. Crickets are all gutloaded. Nothing has changed about his living conditions, yet all of a sudden he seems to be off balance a lot and wobbly. Any idea what's causing this? Should I get him to a vet?

IMG_4026.JPG
How he has started standing g versus how he stood the day I got him and how he normally stood
IMG_3039.jpg

Does your calcium supplement schedule include any D3 or is it just calcium? What about multivitamin?
If that isn't the problem then It's time to consider a vet appointment. Take a fresh fecal sample with you.

Does your calcium supplement schedule include any D3 or is it just calcium? What about multivitamin?
If that isn't the problem then It's time to consider a vet appointment. Take a fresh fecal sample with you.
This is his supplement. As this contains calcium, does he need an additional calcium supplement? I don't give him any D3... now I'm panicking that should have been giving him more calcium... :,(

How old was the previous bulb before you changed it? Why kind of uvb are you using.
I have only had him for 2 months, so the bulb is only 2 months old as I have haven't had it long enough to change it. The bulb is a reptisun 5.0

Don't panic. He needs a supplement with Phosphorus free calcium and D3 every two weeks. Here this is from the veiled care sheet.
"Supplementation:
Calcium and other vitamins are very important to your chameleon's health. Feeder insects should be lightly dusted with powdered supplement before being fed to your chameleon. Many keepers successfully use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) at nearly every feeding, multivitamin once every 2 weeks, and calcium with D3 once every 2 weeks."
If you don't have the plain calcium you should get that and the calcium with D3. Start the calcium with D3 next feeding.

Don't panic. He needs a supplement with Phosphorus free calcium and D3 every two weeks. Here this is from the veiled care sheet.
"Supplementation:
Calcium and other vitamins are very important to your chameleon's health. Feeder insects should be lightly dusted with powdered supplement before being fed to your chameleon. Many keepers successfully use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) at nearly every feeding, multivitamin once every 2 weeks, and calcium with D3 once every 2 weeks."
If you don't have the plain calcium you should get that and the calcium with D3. Start the calcium with D3 next feeding.
Thank you so much! Going to my local pet store right away to get everything! Hopefully this fixes the issue!

I hope so too. Even with UVB lights sometimes they don't get enough D3 to absorb calcium properly.
If you don't see improvement consider a vet appointment. If you don't have a reptile vet this would be the time to look for one in your area.

Thank you so much! Going to my local pet store right away to get everything! Hopefully this fixes the issue!

Just wanted to make sure you get the two calcium types you are need, currently all you have is a multivitamin. You need to get phosphorus free calcium without D3 and phosphorus free calcium without D3. Just noticed that in
"Supplementation:

JacksJill bolded the calcium with D3 and multivitamin, but not the calcium without D3.

This is an example of the types of supplements you should have
15109581500101772721205.jpg

Thank you everyone for the advice! I now have a calcium with D3 and one without! Will begin using tomorrow! Luckily there is a reptile vet very close to where I live, so if I don't see improvement in the next couple of days I'll take Blue there asap. Really hope this is the cause of his issues. I feel like such a failure as a Cham mother right now.

Back
Top Bottom