Witchety Grub

svatch

Has anyone else ever fed their chameleon a witchety grub? I used to go out and get these grubs for fishing, but now collect them to feed to my cham. They look like they would be packed full of nutrition, but I'm no expert on that. I just know my chameleon goes crazy for them. As soon as she catches a glimpse of this feeder her tongue " readies for fire" even though I have the grub 4 feet away. It almost seems as if her eyes get bigger when she sees it. Haha. The only thing I would reccomend doing is clipping the pinchers before you feed them. That is if the grub is over an inch long. I have never tried to feed an adult grub with the pinchers though, I'm not willing to see what happens! These grubs can actually get bigger than horn worms. Here is a picture of one from the net.

Attachments

• witchetty_grub.jpg
    witchetty_grub.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 147
Well humans eat them so they are not poisonous.

They are up to 35% fat though so I would treat them as an occasional treat only :)

Where do you live, where do you get them from?

I live in Pennsylvania, the unfortunate thing is that they are a pain in the arse to get. You have to take an axe and go through the woods and chop up decaying oak tree logs. If you find a good log you can sometimes get anywhere from 10 to 30 grubs. I take my kids out to do it, it gives us something to do together that is interesting for them and benificial for our chams. There are also other grubs you find in those logs as well. I don't know what they are, but the chams eat them too!

Interesting...is that photo one that you took?

The Wichetty Grub is native to Australia and I am wondering if it is a different or related species.

Interesting...is that photo one that you took?

The Wichetty Grub is native to Australia and I am wondering if it is a different or related species.

The picture is one from the internet. That particular grub is from Australia. Here in Pennsylvania we call them Woodsawyers. After hours of searching the inernet I found out that it is a similar species. If there is a proper name for the grub I catch feel free to respond and correct me. I try and look again, but I'm pretty sure that it is a wichetty grub.

Back
Top Bottom