Winter is coming.

This isn’t so much a plea for help, more that I’d like people’s thoughts on something. I live in Brighton, England. It’s now winter. Yesterday morning we had a real feel temperature of -5c in the morning, and 2c in the afternoon. Today it’s 5 degrees. Tomorrow who knows. The temperatures are obviously pretty cold.

I live in a small room, in shared accommodation. Room temperature is about 17c.

I own Steve, a 2 year old Veiled.

Steve was in a 80cm wide, 40cm deep, 100cm terrarium. He was eating, pooping, urating fine.

He’s now in a 60cm wide, 60cm deep, 120cm tall terrarium with a lot of greenary. More so than in his old home.

I moved him into his new home on the 1st December. Since then he’s had ONE poop/urate.

Now, I’m not too sure if I should be worried or not? I have a beardie in the same room who is currently brumating, my thoughts are could the chams surrounding climate have the same affect?

He still seems himself, very alert and very much still has his teenage kind of ‘don’t come near me’ attitude.

But, he’s spending a lot of time in his cooler area, and not so much in his basking spot.

He has a 150w daylight exoterra basking spot lamp and a 10% UVB bulb. Both new, as of the day he moved into his new home.

Any thoughts on changes in behaviour during colder times?

I’m starting to look back at his past and going from 1 poop minimum a week to 1 in nearly two months and it’s only just dawned on me that a) somethings wrong or b) he just doesn’t like the cold like my beardie.

Any thoughts, tips, questions welcome.

Basking area 34c
Cool area 20c

Thanks

well in the cold, chameleons metabolisms will slow down like all lizards, hes probably just slowing down and when spring comes around he'll most likely be fine. the new cage might have also stressed him out a little bit but i think that its mostly just being cold. is he hunting like usual?

As far as I know veild brumation has never been proven but I do know that mine definitely slow down a lot mid winter but never to the extent your discribing.

Thanks for your replies, yeah, it’s not like him. This is the second winter I’ve had him, and he didn’t behave like this last year. So, I work all week, and am out for about 8/9 hours of the day, so I can’t comment on his hunting as quite frankly, I don’t see it. But, he is eating!

I don’t know whether it’s worth while either maybe getting an extra heat lamp on the go just during winter (maybe aiming in from the side of the mesh terrarium).

He didn’t come across as stressed when he moved, he was eating well. But my one main concern is the fact he’s had one poop since 1st December 2018

So how do you know you haven’t just missed it? I can’t see him eating normally and not pooping for 2 months brumation or not...

Please post pics.

Because there’s no poo in the bottom of his terrarium? I’ve seen him eat, and when I put locusts in there, they aren’t around for long (and there’s no way for them to escape).

I don’t really know what you mean by ‘how do you know you haven’t just missed it?’

Missed what sorry?

Attachments

• CF1DB2B1-592F-4B16-AFC2-4DB903B2681D.jpeg
    CF1DB2B1-592F-4B16-AFC2-4DB903B2681D.jpeg
    303.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 1D082BB8-CD91-42E3-A233-F9E17BF4161C.jpeg
    1D082BB8-CD91-42E3-A233-F9E17BF4161C.jpeg
    340.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 88FC0924-1ABD-4DA3-8182-F18C9E3BEA0D.jpeg
    88FC0924-1ABD-4DA3-8182-F18C9E3BEA0D.jpeg
    275.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 54482BB7-F20E-4700-B2CC-5B659BFCA247.jpeg
    54482BB7-F20E-4700-B2CC-5B659BFCA247.jpeg
    353.5 KB · Views: 109
Some chams actually potty train themselves. My female veiled will only poop in one spot, she NEVER poops anywhere else. It’s actually a tiny spot between a bin and the side of her screen viv. Why she chose for her toilet to be in such a hard to get to place I’ll never know. Point is the poop might not be so easy to see, could be hidden somewhere...

No, I agree that there have been some lost poops. Insects in the cage may be eating them or they are washing into the potting soil or both. Either way there haven't been many or they would have been found. Adding a high fiber fruit (pear or pumpkin) to the diet to get things moving along is still a safe strategy.

Back
Top Bottom