Winter hibernation?

bucky

Im curious as to if anyone elses chameleon has entered the winter hunger strike chameleons always seem to do during the winter?My panther these past weeks has only been eating 3-5 crickets every other day, out of the 9-12 i feed him. Is this too soon for him to be slowing down? He also seems to go to sleep earlier.

Cage Type: a terrarium 48x30x16
Lighting: 5.0 reptisun UVB and a 70 watt light bulb for basking.
Temperature: Normal temps are around 70-75 and basking are 80-86
Humidity: The humidity is around 40-50% and its basically made by misting him and by the plant.
Plants: One Arboricola
Location: The cage is located in my room, its not by any air vents or where drafts are.

Your Chameleon: A blue bar panther ambilobe,he is 3 years old,male.
Feeding: His diet consists of crickets,he gets about 10-12 every other day, I am using carrots and a variety of leafy greens to gut load the crickets.
Supplements: I use repcal about every feeding and rep cal w/ d3 every 2 weeks. And herptivite every 2 weeks also. I swab his mouth with a q-tip with fish oil on it once a month for Vit. A.
Watering: I have a dripper on the whole day that drips off a leaf. I mist him 2x a day for about 3-5 minutes.
Fecal Description: They are usually a little runny with a white/tan part at the end.
History: He has had an eye problem that has plagued him for a while. But that ended about two summers ago, it seemed to be a vitamin A defficiency that was the problem.

Maybe change up the feeders (superworms, silkworms, roaches) once in awhile will get him moving. A mature 3 year old is going to slow down on his food intake. Is he active? or does he play, one with the branch all day?

Isn't it normal for an adult chameleon just to eat 4 every other day? Their appetite goes down when they're older. My panther is still eating 9-10 a day since he's just 6 months, but, there is no such thing as cold in Tampa!

Hey David. Sounds like Louie is doing well:) I wouldnt worry about him cutting back that much. Actually it should probably be about 6 crix every other day in the warmer months. I would not be surprised if he starts slowing down quite a bit. Last time I saw him he was looking rather "big boned" and it would probably be good for him to slow down a good bit and loose some weight. I always saw a decrease of activity and food intake in the panthers I owned. Even when they were around 10 to 12 months old and still somewhat young in the winter time.

If he was mine I would make him loose some weight honestly. Maybe try cutting his intake down to 10 crix a week and see if he looses wieght and then maintains after a certain point. He is getting older so naturally he will not be as active and not growing very quickly so food intake does not have to be as much. I know how hard it is not to watch him hog down on those things:D

Alright, I'm just wondering if anyone elses chameleon is going through this. He does seem to be active, doesnt sit in one spot a day. I never really thought he was fat lol, maybe this is good hes eating less? If cod oil also gives vit. D, should I be using some other vit A. supplement only? Ive read on some sites to use vit A. atleast every two weeks with fish oil. I just dont put it on the cricket, and use it once a month because i dont want to overdose,should it be more then?
http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/supplements.html

Back
Top Bottom