Will she find her laying bin?

jkelley13

Hello, I have a 7 month old ish (not sure how old she was when I got her but she was small) veiled chameleon.

She seems to be getting a bit bigger (plumper) and today I came in to check on her and she was at the bottom of the cage. Twice today actually.

I’ve had a laying bin in her cage since the day after I got her.

Does she knows it’s there? How do I get her to notice it? Im afraid she doesn’t know it’s there or something and I don’t want her to get egg bound…

Thank you In advance.

9C91C263-6CAE-4720-B34B-0F6A801A9FFD.jpeg

She will find her bin when she needs it. However, I’ve found they can be fussy about their bins. Is it big enough? My ladies prefer at least 12” long and wide and recently I learned they prefer height as well (I guess to feel more secure) but still filled to only 5-6” deep with sand. If the bin is shorter, is it exposed or have some plants and such to make it seem more private for her? What substrate are you using? Mine prefer play sand or sand mixed with a little organic soil. Are there secure ways for her to get in/out of the bin? Is there a lot of activity in the room where she is? I cover the lower area of my girl’s enclosure when I think they are close to laying to help them feel safer. Make sure the substrate is moist enough to hold a tunnel without collapsing. If you need to make any changes to her bin, do it quickly and all at once. Sometimes they will just be checking out the situation for a few days and looking for the ideal place to lay their eggs before getting down to business.

She will find her bin when she needs it. However, I’ve found they can be fussy about their bins. Is it big enough? My ladies prefer at least 12” long and wide and recently I learned they prefer height as well (I guess to feel more secure) but still filled to only 5-6” deep with sand. If the bin is shorter, is it exposed or have some plants and such to make it seem more private for her? What substrate are you using? Mine prefer play sand or sand mixed with a little organic soil. Are there secure ways for her to get in/out of the bin? Is there a lot of activity in the room where she is? I cover the lower area of my girl’s enclosure when I think they are close to laying to help them feel safer. Make sure the substrate is moist enough to hold a tunnel without collapsing. If you need to make any changes to her bin, do it quickly and all at once. Sometimes they will just be checking out the situation for a few days and looking for the ideal place to lay their eggs before getting down to business.
The red is her laying bin. A plant pot with washed play sand. 12x12. The yellow is where she is trying to lay, viney plant can’t remember the name at the moment. There is so way she can lay there, the roots are spread through the whole pot.

You said...."There is so way she can lay there, the roots are spread through the whole pot"...she may surprise you. I'd let her dig where she wants to...just don't let her see you watching her when she's digging...it might make her abandon the hole and can push her towards egg binding.

She’s been digging since yesterday around 9:30 am, how long is too long or do I have to worry about that?

F1B5FB0B-F4A9-4AA0-9CFB-152CAF028A05.jpeg
5BCF4144-E29C-447C-9880-54132C579F56.jpeg

I’m not tall enough to see in the potted plant but I just came back from lunch. I think she looks a lot thinner? I’m a right or just hopeful thinking?

I feel so bad, I just counted and she had 57!!!!
Im feeding her as normal for the next couple days to regain her strength.

What’s next?

She eats Dubai roaches, black soldier flies and the occasional super worm and horn worm.

Her basking spot is 80 degrees.

@ missskittles is giving you good advice. If she doesn't produce fewer eggs she won't live long. There will be health issues before long.

she didn’t shed for like 2 months before laying is this normal? She is starting to shed now 3 days after laying. I don’t think anything is wrong just curious if it’s an indicator.

Back
Top Bottom