Will my Chameleon ever be used to me?

Awesome about dogs I used to breed ,show, rehome , and train guard dogs. Anyway about your probes. I wasn't saying to leave them outside your enclosure just try to place them in an area where they are not getting sprayed. I use a komodo dual gauge where I have 1 temp probe directly under the basking area the second near the bottom and the humidity sensor back middle . And also have a govee mini which you can download the data to your phone and a temp gun 🔫 lol welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place and there are never any stupid questions you are doing a good job asking and willing to learn snd implement changes 😉

Awesome about dogs I used to breed ,show, rehome , and train guard dogs. Anyway about your probes. I wasn't saying to leave them outside your enclosure just try to place them in an area where they are not getting sprayed. I use a komodo dual gauge where I have 1 temp probe directly under the basking area the second near the bottom and the humidity sensor back middle . And also have a govee mini which you can download the data to your phone and a temp gun 🔫 lol welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place and there are never any stupid questions you are doing a good job asking and willing to learn snd implement changes 😉
Ahh gotcha! Thank you for the description, I will work on getting the gauges in a better place lol!

Thanks for the warm welcome! I was referred here from someone on reddit. I guess the chameleon forum on there had a lot of drama and they said this forum is much better and I agree! Love it so far! :)

Also, so awesome that you were able to breed, show and train! What breed? I have a Rottweiler, great dane mix and a small mutt dog lol although they are my loves, I appreciate how much more calm my chameleon is, and the reason why he's the only one allowed in my office hahaha

Is your linear UVB bulb a T8 or T5 High Output?
Quick update! I raised the UVB and heating lamp, and now the temp in the basking area is dropping down to 80. Does this mean I need to lower the heating lamp or is this the correct temp it should’ve been? The probe is right under the screen at the top

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 117
  • 0D7B2AD0-A962-4D82-8524-65B5105E8DEE.jpeg
    0D7B2AD0-A962-4D82-8524-65B5105E8DEE.jpeg
    260.1 KB · Views: 115
Quick update! I raised the UVB and heating lamp, and now the temp in the basking area is dropping down to 80. Does this mean I need to lower the heating lamp or is this the correct temp it should’ve been? The probe is right under the screen at the top
Great! You want it 80*F where the top of his back is when he's on his basking branch! Is the UVB bulb 6" away from where the top of his back is when he's on his basking branch, too?

Great! You want it 80*F where the top of his back is when he's on his basking branch! Is the UVB bulb 6" away from where the top of his back is when he's on his basking branch, too?
Awesome! That’s perfect then! And yes! 😄 thank you so much! It definitely feels much nicer when I put my hand under both of them. I didn’t realize how hot they could get!

Welcome to the forums! You've gotten a lot of great info and resources, but I'm going to include a link to my YouTube channel incase you prefer learning from videos. I have over 80 chameleon care videos that align with the advice you'll read here and on Chameleon Academy: https://www.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon

Hope you find them helpful and congrats on the new chameleon :)
OMG I am fangirling! I already watch your videos and Neptune and Apollo are my favorite internet chameleons! Your videos are so informative and great! 😄 I love these forums because everyone on them is so knowledgeable and helpful, and my crazy self over thinks everything, so just wanted to make sure my little guy was taken care of 🥰 thank you for your videos and I subscribed to your channel so I can keep up with new videos! Thank you for your help! 💕

You said..."females sound like a lot more work"...if you do the husbandry right the females aren't that much more work...a little more of a worry at times though.

You said..."I guess the chameleon forum on there had a lot of drama and they said this forum is much better and I agree!" ...we get into the drama from time to time here too. Sometimes it's hard not to...but generally I think we're a good bunch!

Hi predominantly boxers as show dogs lol 😆 jdj bulldog, cane corso, rottweiler, akita, bordeaux, staffs,neo mastiff etc. 🤣 but I currently only have 2 American bandog mastiff. Which live on 1 side of the house aka the crazy 😜 side my cham and turtle on the other to balance things out lmao 🤣

Hi predominantly boxers as show dogs lol 😆 jdj bulldog, cane corso, rottweiler, akita, bordeaux, staffs,neo mastiff etc. 🤣 but I currently only have 2 American bandog mastiff. Which live on 1 side of the house aka the crazy 😜 side my cham and turtle on the other to balance things out lmao 🤣
That’s awesome!! Love the mastiffs! 😍 they are my favorite after Rottweilers lol

My husband wants a turtle so bad, but I’m not sure about which kind we would get. I would prefer one that stays smaller vs huge LOL. Do you have any recommendations or forums to follow? 🙂

You said..."females sound like a lot more work"...if you do the husbandry right the females aren't that much more work...a little more of a worry at times though.

You said..."I guess the chameleon forum on there had a lot of drama and they said this forum is much better and I agree!" ...we get into the drama from time to time here too. Sometimes it's hard not to...but generally I think we're a good bunch!
Hey Kinyoga!
I meant no disrespect to the females, I just read they are a little more work because of the egg laying and definitely worrisome when it comes to laying and calcium loss, etc. I know chameleons are pretty advanced pets but to add more stress to worrying is what I meant. 🙂

and I agree with the drama! It’s everywhere for sure. Based on the message, I guess the admins have a very “dictatorial” way of handling the subreddit, so it is off putting to some people. I honestly didn’t mind or see any of it, but I love this forum because of all the friendly people and helpful resources! 😊

I hope this clears up those quotes for you!

I have a male yellow bellied slider he's only 8 x6. Sorry don't know of any forum's there's Dan the turtle man ( don't know if it/ he is any good) you could put a question up in the lizard lounge section. If you want to tag someone in your comments you need to put it like ( @Flickboy) . Like above with kinyonga

I have a male yellow bellied slider he's only 8 x6. Sorry don't know of any forum's there's Dan the turtle man ( don't know if it/ he is any good) you could put a question up in the lizard lounge section. If you want to tag someone in your comments you need to put it like ( @Flickboy) . Like above with kinyonga
@Flick boy ohh got it!! Thank you for the info! And I will check him out, and do some more research! Thank you!! 🙂

It looks like you got a lot of help and great info from some awesome people here. Welcome to the forums!

I will say, even once husbandry is addressed it can take 6 months or longer depending on your strategy for working with your chameleon. Patience and consistency are your best friend!

Also something to keep in mind, sometimes a chameleon will never be comfortable with any form of handling or being around people.

From my experience with these guys compared to other reptile species I can best compare them to the cats of reptiles. They kinda pick when they want attention or when they want nothing to do with you. 😂💕

Hey Kinyoga!
I meant no disrespect to the females, I just read they are a little more work because of the egg laying and definitely worrisome when it comes to laying and calcium loss, etc. I know chameleons are pretty advanced pets but to add more stress to worrying is what I meant. 🙂

and I agree with the drama! It’s everywhere for sure. Based on the message, I guess the admins have a very “dictatorial” way of handling the subreddit, so it is off putting to some people. I honestly didn’t mind or see any of it, but I love this forum because of all the friendly people and helpful resources! 😊

I hope this clears up those quotes for you!
I got it...but Thnks for the further comments!

It looks like you got a lot of help and great info from some awesome people here. Welcome to the forums!

I will say, even once husbandry is addressed it can take 6 months or longer depending on your strategy for working with your chameleon. Patience and consistency are your best friend!

Also something to keep in mind, sometimes a chameleon will never be comfortable with any form of handling or being around people.

From my experience with these guys compared to other reptile species I can best compare them to the cats of reptiles. They kinda pick when they want attention or when they want nothing to do with you. 😂💕
LOL that’s a great way to put it! I definitely can tell. He is already very curious of me as I’m working but he still side eyes me or hides if he doesn’t want me to see him 😂
Hopefully he will warm up to me but if not, I’m okay with that too. As long as he’s happy and healthy 🙂

Back
Top Bottom