Will locusts hurt my chameleon?

BirdieF18

I have heard crickets will attack my chameleon in its sleep so so far i have chosen to feed them outside the cage and not put them in just incase a few hide and started hurting by baby nosy ankarea in the middle of the night. I have heard though that locusts will not do this is this true? If not can someone tell me which live foods are harmless and if accidentally left in would not distress my chameleon.

Thanks

I wouldn't worrie to much about it, people say that but I load my vivs with crickets and locust and never had a problem and while there young its hard to monitor how much there eating so I'd just make sure you put a food surplus in at a time, did you get the Cham of Jamie(chameleoco) ?

I have heard crickets will attack my chameleon in its sleep so so far i have chosen to feed them outside the cage and not put them in just incase a few hide and started hurting by baby nosy ankarea in the middle of the night. I have heard though that locusts will not do this is this true? If not can someone tell me which live foods are harmless and if accidentally left in would not distress my chameleon.

Thanks

roaches. Crickets are nasty and WILL bite the chameleon while it is sleeping, locusts i'm not sure of but a lot of people use them as feeders. You don't want to put a surplus of feeders in there though like stated, especially with crickets. The best bet that I use is to cup feed, either leave the cup in there tied to a branch or hold the cup for him. It works great and you can keep track of how much he is eating.

Also, breeding roaches is super easy, I have 2 tank of them, a dubia colony I started a few years ago and a pair of hissers I bought yesterday to start another colony.

I wouldn't worrie to much about it, people say that but I load my vivs with crickets and locust and never had a problem and while there young its hard to monitor how much there eating so I'd just make sure you put a food surplus in at a time, did you get the Cham of Jamie(chameleoco) ?

Yes i bought my panther off him on sunday.

Locusts are a great feeder option, and are not as inclined to bite a sleeping chameleon as crickets are. I have, however, been bitten by a locusts myself and it left a couple of red marks on my finger! They would sooner eat the leaves on the plants than the chameleon.

Yeah i left a locust in my cage over night, didnt realize i thaught zuggie was eating the plant then got up one morning and theres a locust munching on my ficus!

I bought wingers instead of hoppers and my veiled went to sleep with one in his mouth which did quite a bit of damage in his mouth. Haven't bought them since. Have stuck to hoppers (locusts) and haven't had any problems.

Back
Top Bottom