will he eat a lizard?

leolover

Hi well I have a 8 month old panther chameleon. I live in the middle of the Majave desert and I cought a very small lizard in my garage. It is probably maybe and inch and a half from head to end if tail.. I wondered if i could feed him to my cham... Though that might be hard becase this lizzard is so cute! kinda looks like a baby bearded dragon but im pretty sure its not... the head is not big enough? Any advice??? Thanks

Though chams may eat lizards in the wild, can't say I'd take the chance. Who knows what IT ate last? :confused:

Maybe you got yourself a new Pet! :rolleyes:

It doesnt have any spikes or anything like that... he is pretty smooth... but just has markings kinda like a bearded dragon. But is so little.. I dont think that I will keep him as pet though. I have tried that with wild caught lizards before and they just dont do well. I think he will be let back into the wild if I shouldnt feed him to my cham.

you dont know if that little lizard has any parasites, or is sick, could be hazardous to your chams health. dont take the chance, catch and release.

I see geckos and green anoles. I wouldn't feed 'em to my chameleon though, I love those little guys. They've taken up shop in my mom's crazy jungle garden. I love seeing Walter kill bugs, however. I'd let the lizard live, but no mercy for insects!

i had no mercy w/ all insects when i had my old nile monitor... and the occasional live mouse that i bought. though i like mice less.

It probably wont do it much good anyway. if you want to feed it something other than bugs go get a pinkie or baby button quail. I'd let it go back in the garage or in a shady spot on the perimeter of your place, but that's just me. I feed the wild lizards and an at risk species of frog when I see them on the porch. BTW, the past week I have seen a bunch of baby lizards that look like they just hatched out when walking my dog:)

It probably wont do it much good anyway. if you want to feed it something other than bugs go get a pinkie or baby button quail. I'd let it go back in the garage or in a shady spot on the perimeter of your place, but that's just me. I feed the wild lizards and an at risk species of frog when I see them on the porch. BTW, the past week I have seen a bunch of baby lizards that look like they just hatched out when walking my dog:)

Oh my gosh, no, don't feed your cham a baby button quail. One, they have very little nutritional value and are bony fluffy little things and two...they are freaking adorable beyond all reason. I have five. They are awesome.

Please don't feed them to your cham. :(

My veiled has a free range on our screened porch that he plays in when weather permits and I see the little anoles in his cage all the time. He never messes with them. He just ignores them. I call them his friends. It's so funny to sometimes see one of these little anoles sitting on one of the branches in this big free range like it's his cage.

Oh my gosh, no, don't feed your cham a baby button quail. One, they have very little nutritional value and are bony fluffy little things and two...they are freaking adorable beyond all reason. I have five. They are awesome.

Please don't feed them to your cham. :(
If that's how you feel, you probably won't enjoy this thread... https://www.chameleonforums.com/button-quail-veiled-food-11689/ ;)

(BTW I'm with you though - I struggle to feed the cute Dubia babies to my chams - I'd never be able to feed one of those chicks...)

LOL well I didnt feed him to my cham. My hubby let him go out back. We are in the middle of the desert but we live on a military base... we have tons on weird bugs.. including cockroaches so the base has the housing spraying with chemical reguraly to keep the bugs out of our houses and under control. I didnt want to take the chance that that lizard had eaten a bug with pesticide on it... besides.. Im a lizard lover and dont think that I could do it. I HATE mice but I couldnt stand to give my cham a pinky... mice are nasty when they are big and grown.. but those little helpless pinkys are pretty fricken cute. I with the insects!!! I hate anything that crawls or flies and expecially JUMPS!!!! So crickets are no big deal to watch Leo munch on those!!! Thanks for all the advice!!!!!

I wouldn't let them spray for bugs around my cham; it might hurt him. I don't think he should be around those chemicals

Back
Top Bottom