Wild green grasshoppers

chameleoman

Avid Member
Hey everyone just thought i would share my sight of seeing the green people i was cleaning the yard 5 minutes ago and found a bunch of little baby green grasshoppers should i keep them?:confused:
:D:eek::rolleyes::cool:;):p:eek::D:)

I am glad you asked this, because we were wondering the same thing. Hopefully the guru's will help us out. :)

I feed my panther small locusts from my yard with no problem. As long as you can make sure there are no pesticides in the area the grasshoppers may have ingested it will be fine. Parasites are also a worry to some. If you're worried that wild grasshoppers might give your chameleons parasites you can also try breeding them then feeding off the offspring.

snatch them up and feed them off if you aren't using pesticides and fertilizer in your yard. My coworker comes in each day telling me how he is killing the grasshoppers in his yard with a stick or lawnmower.... I tell him to save me some but he rather run them over........

ok i snatched 2 of them and have them in a small jar with grass im gunna release them when they get older i herd they eat grass but for sure do they eat grass? or can i feed them something else?

I use wild caught grasshoppers without issue as a feeder every summer.
If the area is "safe" and you are willing to risk (and potentially deal with) parasites, go for it.

they eat vegetation and grains. corn, grass and grass seed, alfalfa, wheat plants, ....

Hey everyone just thought i would share my sight of seeing the green people i was cleaning the yard 5 minutes ago and found a bunch of little baby green grasshoppers should i keep them?:confused:
:D:eek::rolleyes::cool:;):p:eek::D:)

If you find more I'll take them and raise them. I'm working on breeding them. Trade for some mantis. :cool:

I can't guaranteed that a parson won't eat one. ;)

Last edited:
hoppers

i usually go out once a week and catch a few hundred hoppers in my neibors feilds.. my chams love em...ive actually kept them alive with my cricket gut load.. but for the hoppers i usually grind up raw dried peas and pumpkin seads..along with the tall grass..id say catch as many as you can and feed them off

Back
Top Bottom