Wild caught veiled

Dragoness

I'll admit I need some help... I have a friend who caches veils in Florida. He brought one back home, and realized he had a bent head crest. I helped the guy a lot, so he have me the adult male. Prolbem is, he's wild caught and I know I'll have problems. I have had wild caught snakes, but this is different. Advice please?

I noticed, but he was a gift. No pictures currently, I'm leaving him in my little ISO room (it's quiet). I would have got a captive if I would have bought him!

Well, here's my advice. Do a ton of research. Now. If everything's not perfect, he's going to die. Especially being wild caught. Good luck, and someone with more advice is going to reply.

They are not supposed to be in the wild in Florida anyway. In my opinion, you can catch all you want. Veileds are pretty easy to keep. If you set him up right you should not have many problems. Good luck

Thank you! I have a lot of fake plants, but after Christmas I'm going to get a gold ivy for his cage, and a hybiscus for an "outside" plant.

I keep all my chameleons on live plants. Veileds will eat plants so make sure they are safe to eat. It should not be to hard to find a safe plant list. I'm pretty sure tiki tiki reptiles, one of the sponsers to this site, has one on there website. As far as fake plants go, I have heard stories of veileds trying to eat them but I have never tried them.

A wild caught from Florida is different than a wild caught from Africa- most of the African ones are ripped off a tree thrown in a sack and shipped without food or water - the trip is a minimum of 24 hours and usually longer-
Veilds aren't native to Florida so any "wild caught" would either be one that someone had as a pet and let loose or an offspring of one - go by the care sheets and let him adjust- have a fecal done for sure and treat for any parasites make sure he is well hydrated and hope for the best.
I also don't have a problem with a "wild caught" from Florida -

Personally I always keep a bottle of Reptaid on hand. Even though mine is from FLChams, I still give him a dose once a month for digestive tract help. It can be difficult the first time or two but your's will get used to it as well. "Reptaid was developed to target common reptile health issues. It includes a variety of oils and herbs specifically chosen for their ability to fight against parasites and infection." Good luck and keep us posted on your adventures.

He's doing good, he drank some water the third time I misted today. He still hisses when I go near his cage! He also ate four crickets.

You are not going to get crap for having a wild caught chameleon.

Many of the users on here have them.

They are primarily used for breeding projects though.

Some disapprove of the wild caught purchases, but that is why there are CITES records, and the chams are bought from reputable importers.

As for your particular cham, no one will give you any crap for it becuase your cham isnt suppost to be wild in the first place.

Veileds are not native to florida, and therefore it can be considered an invasive species.

what exactly are you worried about with this chameleon?

I would recommend a fecal test, to check for parasites.

I just have never had a Cham. I know they are difficult, I do work at a pet store but I know they don't tell you everything XD I am going to get a little ceramic dish for him and try mealies and dubia since I raise both. Are super worms and waxworks okay? I have leopard geckos, and I feed them a wide variety.

Veiled care is not all that hard once you get the hang of it.

I try to avoid mealies becuase they can cause impaction when fed in excess.

ALl bugs are good as long as a variety is given with no one bug making up the majority.

DUbias are great for chams, i breed them and i use them primarily for my chams, with other bugs thrown in.

a jemen from florida isn't wild caught, if anything is it could say it is farmed, trade him for parasite and try to have a variety of food

He's ate like 10 crickets now, he ate from my hand!

I am getting some tongs next time, I didn't know I could move that fast...

Sounds like your doing great with him - the tone of my first comment might have been a little harsh- and I hope you didn't feel like any of my crankiness was directed toward you - In all actuality some of the wild caught chameleons from Africa actually are being farm raised which helps the economy in their natural habitats and makes them something to be protected instead of feared- They take more work, and I always try and talk new owners from buying a wild caught for a first - especially a first reptile- I also try and talk them out of getting a petco cham- It's always better to start with a healthy chameleon and there are quite a few for sale here from members who have healthy ones. The care sheets here are great - they have been put together by vets and long time keepers and if you follow them you'll probably do fine - Poop 101 is a quite interesting read and will let you know what to look for if there is a problem-
Any way welcome to the forum - when do we get to see a picture ?

Back
Top Bottom