wild butterflies and grasshoppers?

pr3mo15

Hey, I have a quick few questions. I read on another post from dodolah that catching wild grasshoppers and butterflies isn't a bad idea IF you catch them in a clean area...(pesticide free and all).

I know there are risks to feeding wild bugs to chams. So that does not need to be mentioned thanks. :D

If I were to catch wild grasshoppers here and there, I would of course feed them for a couple of days(clean them out)before they are a treat.

I would do the same with butterflies, except I dont know what to feed them?(so if somebody can give me answer to that please! :D)

Also is there any types of grasshoppers / butterflies that I should stay away from?, that are out here in Southern California?

I would greatly appreciate any help on this!
Thanks!

I agree with Jo, stay away from the wonderfully colorful ones, and yes, I've seen colorful grasshopers before... unless they were something else LOL!

I would just stay away from anything outside, I really don't believe saving a few bucks is worth harming the cham. >_<

I would just stay away from any type of butterflys but moths are good feeders. Turn on your lights at night and you should have plenty of moths when the weather is right. I havent noticed any here yet. Just remember to make sure your neighbors arent out. They may wonder what you are on since it will look like your just swatting air:p I keep my grass hoppers for a few 3 or more days and feed them good. They would more than likely die if they have been eating pesticides. I am going to give a go at keeping a bunch this summer:)

no, there is colorful grasshoppers, there called lubbers, and you can feed butterflies a half and half mixture of sugar and water in a small dish and sliced, mushy bananas.

in CA the only butterfly i can think of thats safe are cabbage and painted lady

Cool thanks jojackson :D very helpful !

One question on that though....If you can't particularly feed the butterflies, wouldn't it not be the best idea to feed to the cham, as they may not be "nutritious" ??

Just read everybodys post aswell

Thanks EVERYBODY !! Lizardlover those "colorful" grasshoppers called lubbers...those are still ok?

Yeah there are a TON of threads on this, painted lady was one of the butterflies they said were good.. just do a search!

other safe butterflies.

peackock, cabbage, viceroy (monarch mimic), and painted lady, probably all youll find in CA.

i want to start a colony of hoppers but there not easy to find in FL,

They are everywhere in Maryland! I have a place I collect them far away from any agriculture that might be sprayed. If you are into collecting and breeding your own bugs I recommend the CIN Thoughts for Food book you can get from the online store. You can find most of the info on the net but it has a very good layout and is very thorough about housing, feeding etc. and is also a nice book to add to your collection!! That and you just open the book, no searching needed:)

geeze do you pull links out your butt thanks, i know the species theyre just hard to find

Atleast one of those links tells you the kind of habitat in which you will find different species. I thought they might be useful since you said you wanted to start a colony.
Yes my butt is google headquarters! :)

I know you can 'feed' butterflys sugar water, it probly gives them enough energy to stay alive while kids draw cute crayon pics of them, but sugarwater v's natural nectar/food sources? I dont think theres much nutrition involved, probly not worth the effort.

If you wanted to breed them, Id research at a butterfly house or similar. Quite involved I think.

I feed my chams painted lady butterflies that I raised on my own.
If you can find Katydid, then you hit a jackpot! :)
katydid.jpg

so i live in a suburban yard where every yard has pestacides...including mine....i have plenty of moths...,.can they be fed????

so i live in a suburban yard where every yard has pestacides...including mine....i have plenty of moths...,.can they be fed????

I would avoid feeding your chameleon moths that exposed to chemicals and pesticides for obvious reason.

Back
Top Bottom