Wild Bradypodion pumilum - South Africa

melanocephalum

Avid Member
On my previous trip to this area of the Western Cape in February was quite a different experience, in February the weather was hot, dry and relatively quiet on the reptile front with hours spent in the field offering very little rewards. This time around thankfully was a vastly different experience.

Earlier in the year I purchased a few tickets on Flysafair‘s third birthday sale for R3(inclusive each way) no strings attached so a round trip to Cape Town cost R6.00 you can’t even buy a bottle of water for that price – let alone a bottle of water on a flight. Although buying tickets that far in advance has it’s down side…a week before my trip I was reminded about the flights. Usually, meticulous planning is my thing, from times, dates, kilometres and even the animals I’d plan on seeing this time was a little different. Fortunately, good friend who’s based in the Northern Suburbs of Cape Town is always up for a quick trip and we made some last minute accommodation plans and it was set.

Here are a few specimens from a Suburban environment:
Neonate Cape Dwarf Chameleon - Bradypodion pumilum
This animal was minute probably only 5cm (excluding the tail)
Bradypodion_pumilum_©_Tyrone_Ping_2017_WM.jpg

Cape Dwarf Chameleon - Bradypodion pumilum
Bradypodion_pumilum_©_Tyrone_Ping_2017_WM-49.jpg

Bradypodion_pumilum_©_Tyrone_Ping_2017_WM-30.jpg

Bradypodion_pumilum_©_Tyrone_Ping_2017_WM-47.jpg

Bradypodion_pumilum_©_Tyrone_Ping_2017_WM-39.jpg

Bradypodion_pumilum_©_Tyrone_Ping_2017_WM-52.jpg

Interestingly enough, people often take about Bradypodion being very local specific in terms of colouration and so on, all of the above animals where found in the exact same area of not more than 50m part.

Now in search of some of the more vibrantly coloured specimens, one, of course, looks towards denser vegetated areas. I headed off to Stellenbosch which is mainly a student town nestled between mountains and a really great nature reserve - Jan Marais Nature Reserve.

Right off the bat searching some plants I found this juvenile Cape Dwarf Chameleon - Bradypodion pumilum on a lavender plant.
Bradypodion_pumilum_©_Tyrone_Ping_2017_WM-53.jpg

Bradypodion_pumilum_©_Tyrone_Ping_2017_WM-44.jpg

Fortunately, I was lucky enough to catch another juvenile basking on these flowers whilst feeding, during the time I watched it, it had caught three small flying insects but I wasn't able to get photographs of that in action.
Bradypodion_pumilum_©_Tyrone_Ping_2017_WM-54.jpg

Here it actually was just finishing off a small fly which you can see the bludge in the gulars.
Bradypodion_pumilum_©_Tyrone_Ping_2017_WM-55.jpg

Waiting for night fall I checked out a different location with some tall willow trees along side a river with tall grasses which looked really good for chameleons and I was in luck - finding just the specimens I was looking for.
Bradypodion_pumilum_©_Tyrone_Ping_2017_WM-46.jpg

Bradypodion_pumilum_©_Tyrone_Ping_2017_WM-5.jpg

Bradypodion_pumilum_©_Tyrone_Ping_2017_WM-41.jpg

Bradypodion_pumilum_©_Tyrone_Ping_2017_WM-43.jpg

I found the tails quite interesting to look at the details and variations of specimens
Bradypodion_pumilum_©_Tyrone_Ping_2017_WM-8.jpg

Of course during the day light they're even more impressive.
Bradypodion_pumilum_©_Tyrone_Ping_2017_WM-20.jpg

Bradypodion_pumilum_©_Tyrone_Ping_2017_WM-16.jpg

Bradypodion_pumilum_©_Tyrone_Ping_2017_WM-22.jpg

Myself with a Cape Dwarf Chameleon - Bradypodion pumilum for size comparison.
Bradypodion_pumilum_©_Tyrone_Ping_2017_WM-31.jpg

Thanks for looking, for more on all the Bradypodion of South Africa you can check them out on my website:
Header_Final_3.png

I now have only a single species of the currently described chameleons in South Africa left to see on my quest of finding and photographing all of the Chameleon species in South Africa.

Gorgeous photos Tyrone! I'm glad you had a successful trip. A few years back when I visited Cape Town we were able to find some Bradypodion pumilum with the help of a Chameleon Forums friend.

Tyrone

Thanks for posting more notes and pictures from one of your expedition. Plus thanks for documenting these expeditions of yours on the Chameleon Forums. How many species left until you have seen all the South African Bradypodion species?

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich.

Back
Top Bottom