Wild Bradypodion caeruleogula - South AfricA

melanocephalum

Avid Member
Now it's been a good few years since I've made the journey some 180kms from where I stay to find and photograph these small forest dwelling chameleons.

So I ventured out and find and photographed a few
Bradypodion caeruleogula - uMlalazi Dwarf Chameleon.
Bradypodion-caeruleogula_Tyrone_Ping_2017_WM.jpg

Junveile Bradypodion caeruleogula - uMlalazi Dwarf Chameleon.
Bradypodion-caeruleogula_Tyrone_Ping_2017_WM-5.jpg

Adult male Bradypodion caeruleogula - uMlalazi Dwarf Chameleon.
Bradypodion-caeruleogula_Tyrone_Ping_2017_WM-4.jpg

Bradypodion caeruleogula - uMlalazi Dwarf Chameleon.
Bradypodion-caeruleogula_Tyrone_Ping_2017_WM-3.jpg

For size reference ;)

Thanks for looking!

I'm pretty sure I came across one of these little guys in my backyard once when I was really young. It was my first time seeing a chameleon and I was in love with it! I would sit inside and look for it in the tree next to my window every morning, which might be why I love chams so much now :)
I may be wrong about the specific species, but I know it was definitely Bradypodion by the looks of it...
Anyway, these are some great shots! I'm glad I got to see them :D

I'm glad the last photo shows the size! Interesting looking little chameleos...thanks for posting!

Always tough to show their size when photographing them using macro lenses, I have most of the species I have found on my hand/finger so that helps. Thanks for looking!

I'm pretty sure I came across one of these little guys in my backyard once when I was really young. It was my first time seeing a chameleon and I was in love with it! I would sit inside and look for it in the tree next to my window every morning, which might be why I love chams so much now :)
I may be wrong about the specific species, but I know it was definitely Bradypodion by the looks of it...
Anyway, these are some great shots! I'm glad I got to see them :D

Where are you from? There are 17 species of dwarf chameleon across South Africa so depending where you are based could have been one of many.

Where are you from? There are 17 species of dwarf chameleon across South Africa so depending where you are based could have been one of many.

I was in Newcastle in KZN at the time, but because there's so many and I'm not very clued up on the indigenous chams, I'm not sure which it really was

I was in Newcastle in KZN at the time, but because there's so many and I'm not very clued up on the indigenous chams, I'm not sure which it really was

Interesting as they are a few Dwarf Chameleons in the interior of KZN that aren't formally described as they seem to differ from the Natal Midlands Dwarf Chameleon and the Kwa Zulu Dwarf Chameleon.

Back
Top Bottom