Wierd bump on jaw

jacksontrident

3e6ugy6y.jpg
nejezegu.jpg

As you can see, my male jacksons chameleon has a strange growth on his jaw. I give him insects dusted with vitamins and calcium. He drink and eats woderfully, but i am wondering if it will soon be a problem. Any advice would be great!

Yes, classic sign of a temporal gland infection. Jax seem prone to this but just why isn't clear. It is probably nutrition-based. You need an experienced vet now. The abscess itself will probably need to be cleaned out and the cham put on a systemic antibiotic to keep this from recurring and spreading. Realize it is probably pretty painful so he may stop eating or (more importantly) drinking. Make sure you keep him hydrated while on any antibiotics. There are a lot of threads about treatment for this, so before you just take a vet's word on treatment do a forum search on this so you can get up to speed.

temporal gland infection

It is as the previous two posted a temporal gland infection. You use a dentist syringe (pointed angled to produce a jet stream of water) to wash out any cricket legs or wings, etc... that may have gotten stuck between lip and jaw. You will see some cheese looking stuff inside there also, possibly. You can rinse that out with saline if you must. The longer you wait for the vet, the harder it may be for your cham to regain use of his tongue to catch prey. He may lose that aspect, if he hasn't already. You will end up with what i call a biter. They can only feed by biting their prey and can be dificult to kept well fed.

It is as the previous two posted a temporal gland infection. You use a dentist syringe (pointed angled to produce a jet stream of water) to wash out any cricket legs or wings, etc... that may have gotten stuck between lip and jaw. You will see some cheese looking stuff inside there also, possibly. You can rinse that out with saline if you must. The longer you wait for the vet, the harder it may be for your cham to regain use of his tongue to catch prey. He may lose that aspect, if he hasn't already. You will end up with what i call a biter. They can only feed by biting their prey and can be dificult to kept well fed.

Wash the wound with saline? Is that vet recommended? I just never heard of that

Back
Top Bottom