Why wont he eat?

AlanG

I feel like my Jackson chameleon is under weight. I never see him eat, idk if he eats when im at school or not (some crickets get out of his cage so idk if all of them are getting out) I first tried feeding him from a container that had screening on it so that the crickets would stay in one place but he would never eat out of it.... Then I just started to throw in some crickets in his enclosure to see if he would eat them that way (because the breeder that had him feed him that way) but he never goes after the crickets. And on top of that the crickets hide :mad: And no he's not sick, im honestly pretty sure he has no health problems he is always bright green and happy, to me he just looks a bit under weight and I never see him eat.

How any crickets should a normal chameleon eat a day ?
And if there is a feeding method that works for you? or if you know what may be the problem please let me know :(

Attachments

• echhoooo.jpg
    echhoooo.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 117
  • echoecho.jpg
    echoecho.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 121
Hi AlanG, your chameleon does not look to much under weight. How long have you had him for? Maby you must try hand feeding, my veiled only eats out of my hand she does not whant to eat out of her feeding cup. Is he drinking? Also i saw when my enclosure gets too cold they won't eat, whats the temp in your enclosure?

my panther was like this.but how long have you had yours.they can take time to settle.
i tried everyway to get him to eat and failed.now i kill the food and lay it on a leaf or vine below him.by doing this my little guy has gone from eating maybe 3-4 a week to eating 8-10 a day.try it.what do you have to lose.
everyone will suggest a method to try but every cham is different.i dont like to kill them but if this is the way my cham eats then needs must.what foods have you tried him with?
just to make sure all is ok you should fill out the ask for help form just to make sure everything is ok with his home.
also everyday try and hand or tong feed him the first feeder of the day.if he doesnt take it then try the next day and so on.goodluck:)

Hi,
I would advise you to fill out this form:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/
Just to be sure it's nothing health/husbandry related. I don't know much about jacksons, but I'm sure other members will double check your husbandry.

It might be that he is just bored with crickets. Have you tried any other feeders? There are plenty ideas here:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/

A varied diet will not only make him more interested in food, but also provide different nutritions which will make him healthier :)

I'v had him for a little over 3 months now. I'v tried hand feeding him, doesn't work :/ He has water 24/7 and his temp. stay at room temp. around 75F Jacksons like cooler temp.
I also have a female Jackson and she eats like there is no tomorrow, shes actually a little lumpy lol idk if she may be gravid or if shes just a little fatter cause she eats a lot.

I'v also tried that :( He hates it when his food isn't alive. I think that he prefers eating when his food is crawling around his cage and I do that, I throw a few crickets in his cage and he goes after 1 but after he eats one and ignores the others and just chills on his branch -.- And then the crickets all hide, sometimes I think he cant see them cause there all hiding but when I put them where he can see them he doesn't pay attention to them.

my panther was like this.but how long have you had yours.they can take time to settle.
i tried everyway to get him to eat and failed.now i kill the food and lay it on a leaf or vine below him.by doing this my little guy has gone from eating maybe 3-4 a week to eating 8-10 a day.try it.what do you have to lose.
everyone will suggest a method to try but every cham is different.i dont like to kill them but if this is the way my cham eats then needs must.what foods have you tried him with?
just to make sure all is ok you should fill out the ask for help form just to make sure everything is ok with his home.
also everyday try and hand or tong feed him the first feeder of the day.if he doesnt take it then try the next day and so on.goodluck:)

He dosnt look under weight ? Hummm maybe I just feel like hes to skinny lol Cause my female Jackson is a little fatter :p She eats ALOT

Hi AlanG, your chameleon does not look to much under weight. How long have you had him for? Maby you must try hand feeding, my veiled only eats out of my hand she does not whant to eat out of her feeding cup. Is he drinking? Also i saw when my enclosure gets too cold they won't eat, whats the temp in your enclosure?

I'v also tried that :( He hates it when his food isn't alive. I think that he prefers eating when his food is crawling around his cage and I do that, I throw a few crickets in his cage and he goes after 1 but after he eats one and ignores the others and just chills on his branch -.- And then the crickets all hide, sometimes I think he cant see them cause there all hiding but when I put them where he can see them he doesn't pay attention to them.

have you tried a different feeder? my Jackson refused to eat crickets for a couple days so i spent a couple more days offering him roaches, superworms, waxworms etc but he also refused to eat those then last night and this morning i offered crickets and he ate them like no tomorrow lol idk

First I think he looks to be in pretty good shape! I think if you fill out the help form some could help you better but just from what i have read on your part so far. I understand they need cooler temps than that of a panther or veiled chameleon but i think they still need some sort of basking lamp. If im not mistaken I have read from a few different sources since i dont own one, but they have all stated that they need ambient temperatures of about 75 degrees PLUS a basking sight with temps raging from 75 to 85 degrees. You may need to experiment to find out what works best for you and your cham. Your female may be doing ok but lizards are all different just like us, what works for one may not work for another. If a lizard does not have proper heating of course they probably will not be a very hardy eater because they will not be able to metabolize the food they have eaten in the past very well. That will decrease appetite for quickly. If he is not eating very well i first of all would get him a basking lamp and try that first. I would be careful the lamp and try not to overheat him, but at least get him a site with proper temps and see if that helps. Also, how do u know he is not sick? You said it yourself he is not eating right so something must be wrong with him or his husbandry. When you get a stomach ache or a fever can you tell by looking in the mirror? Or if you get a tapeworm or parasite would you be able to see it by looking in the mirror? Im not sure if you have had a fecal test done for parasites on him or not but that may be another option and avenue to approach. Just a couple of possible solutions there. I hope you get it figured out and good luck!

Back
Top Bottom