Why is my Cham grabbing his face?

Pygmy chameleon

Established Member
I’m just getting back into the chameleon world I just got my boy yesterday and today I’ve noticed he’s grabbing his face with the same leg quite often. It’s like if he has no orientation and can’t control he’s leg. Any ideas? He does come from a small breeder that I know. I’ve already bought from her multiple times and never had an issue. I do have a guarantee and she has already told me she is willing to exchange him or pay vet visits. I would like other people’s opinion on the situation. I’ve tried uploading a video but for some reason it doesn’t allow me Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 347F98E6-A81A-4F60-929D-4E0BBCABF8F3.png
    347F98E6-A81A-4F60-929D-4E0BBCABF8F3.png
    585.7 KB · Views: 226
I just went back in your posts and saw that a couple of years ago your chameleon was being treated for MBD...was it the same one?

I think there's a slight curve in the right arm...that's why I think it's MBD.

What supplements do you use SPECIFICALLY and how often for each?
What do you feed/gutload the insects with?

What uvb light do you use and do you change it as often as the manufacturer says to?

I think there's a slight curve in the right arm...that's why I think it's MBD.

What supplements do you use SPECIFICALLY and how often for each?
What do you feed/gutload the insects with?

What uvb light do you use and do you change it as often as the manufacturer says to?
I just got him yesterday everything is brand new terrarium lights tropical plants etc. What I find strang is that he only does it with this one leg

Which leg?

Nothing you've done with supplements etc matters then...it's not on you if it does have MBD.

Were you able to correct it in the one that had it in your other post?

Unfortunately it was to far along. I had bought her with MBd and it was one of my first chams to be honest..but my others lived happy and healthy it is the
Front right. I’d like to upload a video but for some reason I can’t? Maybe the video would answer more questions.

Unfortunately it was to far along. I had bought her with MBd and it was one of my first chams to be honest..but my others lived happy and healthy it is the
Front right. I’d like to upload a video but for some reason I can’t? Maybe the video would answer more questions.
I believe you have to upload to a platform like YouTube and then post the link here for video.

MBD not only weakens the bones but affects the muscles too...between both things when they have MBD IMHO it's often hard for them to be able to control their movements...the weak bones are easily moved/bent by the muscle contractions and that misdirects the limbs.

MBD not only weakens the bones but affects the muscles too...between both things when they have MBD IMHO it's often hard for them to be able to control their movements...the weak bones are easily moved/bent by the muscle contractions and that misdirects the limbs.
Have you seen the video do you think he’s far along? He doesn’t fall at all and does have a good grip.

It just saw the video now... I'm sure it's MBD now. It doesn't look like it's too far along. I would set up a hospital cage for now so it can't fall. Did you know what that is?
I am very aware of MBD and it’s my worst nightmare. Would you suggest getting him to a vet or just my good husbandry etc will help him.

Can you ask the people you bought it from what specific supplements they used and what theyfed/ gutloaded the insects with and the UVB lights they used....if you're going to keep it.

You should see a vet so they can tell you when it's corrected etc.
To correct MBD you need to bring the nutrients back into line and keep them there. It usually means giving the chameleon a proper liquid calcium (no A or D in it) and when the bones are strong enough a proper supplement regime and properly fed/gutloaded insects...proper temperatures and UVB too.

What supplements do,you have now?

Back
Top Bottom