Why is my Cham grabbing his face?

How often for each? What's in them in the way of D3 and calcium and phosphorous and vitamin A?

What will you be feeding/gutloading the insects with?

What UVB light will you be using and what temperatures will be in the basking area and the rest of the cage?

MBD not only weakens the bones but affects the muscles too...between both things when they have MBD IMHO it's often hard for them to be able to control their movements...the weak bones are easily moved/bent by the muscle contractions and that misdirects the limbs.
Exactly!^

I am very aware of MBD and it’s my worst nightmare. Would you suggest getting him to a vet or just my good husbandry etc will help him.
I got my very first cham [female] from Petco. She came with a broken "paw" and MBD. Luckily, I had experience enough with reptiles and stumbled upon this forum shortly after getting her. I was able to give her the occasion liquid calcium and well as using a heavy dusting and hand feeding her. She's still not 100%, but she had drastically improved.

What I did was use the flukers vines, size medium to form a path and the small to make a "dreamcatcher" or basket weave pattern. I used the smaller vines like handrails and safety nets with a lot of lower level shrubs (like the smaller/younger birds of paradise, money tree, etc). I think after the modifications she fell once and was able to catch a vine and land somewhat softly onto the broad leaves of the birds of paradise. Since I had a female, putting her in a hospital bin wasn't an option - she was definitely gravid when I got her looking back.

It takes a lot of work and dedication to nurse a MBD baby... I've spent many hours standing outside with her in my hand to give her true sunshine.

Liquid calcium is great, you can either dilute it, mix in fruit puree, or inject feeders. Some people have had results mixing it in a bit of the powdered gecko diets... but be careful to not OVER do it. Also, know your environment and capabilities, if you're able to get outside absolutely nothing can compete with the sun. Otherwise, you may need to add D3 for proper absorption. [I did not go the D3 route as I live in Florida].

It will take some time to reverse it. Even now, my girl still grabs her own tail, but she has MUCH better motor control and overall is more active.

Best wishes to you both!

8A480D55-4582-42A4-9A17-DAED460622B3.png

100% female. IMHO I would get my money back from the breeder and purchase from one of our many reputable breeders here on our forum. Not only did the seller sell you a female as a male but he also gave you one with MBD. Clearly the breeder has no idea what they're doing.
You guys have no idea of the hassle this women is giving me I’m from Quebec Canada any ideas on where to purchase

You guys have no idea of the hassle this women is giving me I’m from Quebec Canada any ideas on where to purchase
Monika at chameleons galore, Lisa at chronic chameleons have some beautiful Panthers on the west coast if you want to pay shipping. Generation reptiles in Quebec also closer to your area. I Would try to return that little one if you have not become attached and go with a reputable breeder.

Back
Top Bottom