Why is my cham gaping?

Serbianchameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
So my panther cham is often opening his mouth like this and keeps like that for few minutes so can you guys tell me is that normal? Im asking because I never saw my veiled do this..

Btw he is friendly and totally tolerant to people so this is not defensive mode...

Attachments

• F5D11C3B-4029-457F-81A6-671A36115788.jpeg
    F5D11C3B-4029-457F-81A6-671A36115788.jpeg
    234.8 KB · Views: 109
What are the temps in your enclosure?

Is he making any sort of wheezing sounds when he does this?

Have you noticed him stretching his throat while opening his mouth. My carpets would sometimes do this when getting ready to shed.

Based on what you're saying, my guess is he is thermoregulating which is normal behavior. Gaping can also be a sign of an upper respiratory infection, hence the questions about the wheezing and mucus.

Based on what you're saying, my guess is he is thermoregulating which is normal behavior. Gaping can also be a sign of an upper respiratory infection, hence the questions about the wheezing and mucus.
He is active and eating like crazy and he doesnt make any noises and there is no extra mucus in his mouth so I don’t think it’s respiratory infection at least I hope so.. I keep the humidity 60-80% is that too high? People told me that is good humidity percentage for panthers..

He is active and eating like crazy and he doesnt make any noises and there is no extra mucus in his mouth so I don’t think it’s respiratory infection at least I hope so.. I keep the humidity 60-80% is that too high? People told me that is good humidity percentage for panthers..
His ambient temp is too high! His basking temp is fine, but he needs to be able to escape the heat and cool off. Look for an ambient temp of 22-24, and keep the basking at 30-32. Give him the option to go down lower and cool off.

His ambient temp is too high! His basking temp is fine, but he needs to be able to escape the heat and cool off. Look for an ambient temp of 22-24, and keep the basking at 30-32. Give him the option to go down lower and cool off.
How do I drop temp from 28 to 22 and keep the basking spot same?

There are two mist frequest reasons fir gaping;

overheating (can be the case)
RI (can be the case)

yiur temps are way too high and humidity is way too high at daytime too

RI is a realmdanger

lower the temps
Lower the time you offer basking
Do not
Mist at daytime when the lamps are on

Chams in the wild get fresh air with the heat & humidity, your cham has an respiratory infection from wet stale air, & probably too hot, high temps. take it to a vet!!!

Chams in the wild get fresh air with the heat & humidity, your cham has an respiratory infection from wet stale air, & probably too hot, high temps. take it to a vet!!!
He is eating like crazy and he drinks enough water and he’s active but i saw that he has little bit more saliva in his mouth. How dangerous is respiratory infection?

How do I drop temp from 28 to 22 and keep the basking spot same?
This can be easily accomplished. Make sure your basking lamp is set at the proper height so that the main basking branch hits the desired temp and no more. As you go further down the cage and further from the basking branch, the temp should naturally drop. That, combined with the shade from the densely planted middle area of the enclosure should get you where you need.

This can be easily accomplished. Make sure your basking lamp is set at the proper height so that the main basking branch hits the desired temp and no more. As you go further down the cage and further from the basking branch, the temp should naturally drop. That, combined with the shade from the densely planted middle area of the enclosure should get you where you need.
How dangerous can RI be and can it be cured by itself or I need to take him to the vet?

Back
Top Bottom