WHY IS HE LIKE THIS 😂

Gloriawood

Chameleon Enthusiast
Why?! He has so many branches. He didn’t like sleeping on his perfectly good horizontal branches, so I give him MULTIPLE vertical ones to choose from. Even a few at diagonal angles! And THIS is how he chooses to sleep 😑

IMG_1120.jpeg

This sounds really mean but I watched Tony my veiled when he was little and sprayed around him when he tried to sleep on the screen. I know I know that’s cruel but he took the hint fairly quickly. I just felt like it was going to really hurt his feet being splayed out 180 degrees for 12 hours

This sounds really mean but I watched Tony my veiled when he was little and sprayed him when he went on the screen. I know I know that’s cruel. But I think he took the hint. I just felt like it was going to really hurt his feet being splayed out 180 degrees for 12 hours
See I feel like that too! But idk. He sometimes will sleep normally. And usually he will at least put his back feet on a branch and only hold on the screen with his front. He never does this. But when his lights went off, he got off the branch he was on and got into this position to sleep. He never gets on the screen during the day. I just don’t get it.

Here are a few of his ‘normal’ sleeping positions

Attachments

• IMG_1121.jpeg
    IMG_1121.jpeg
    221.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0421.jpeg
    IMG_0421.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0420.jpeg
    IMG_0420.jpeg
    228.5 KB · Views: 15
He doesn’t have any upper respiratory issues does he?
No. He’s always been like this. Only does it when he sleeps. He has had medical issues in the past. He had MBD when I got him and he didn’t have many branches before I got him. Only thing I can figure is that he has been used to doing it his whole life and never grew out of it 🤷🏻‍♀️

Yes I did. He was kept for a year and a half with the chameleon kit and improper supplements. He was also only fed mealworms. I will have had him for a year next month!!!
My uneducated guess is he slept that way with his past owners due to not having any proper places to sleep in the chameleon kit. And now since he has done that for so long, that’s just how he sleeps.

I rescued a crested gecko that spent its first 5 years of life in a fish tank. He is in an elaborate bioactive enclosure now with so much space and things to explore. However, for months and months he would only hang out on the glass. He is just now getting to the point where he will use the rest of his enclosure and hang out on sticks and cork bark and hide in the plants.

I’m betting it’s a similar situation.

My uneducated guess is he slept that way with his past owners due to not having any proper places to sleep in the chameleon kit. And now since he has done that for so long, that’s just how he sleeps.

I rescued a crested gecko that spent its first 5 years of life in a fish tank. He is in an elaborate bioactive enclosure now with so much space and things to explore. However, for months and months he would only hang out on the glass. He is just now getting to the point where he will use the rest of his enclosure and hang out on sticks and cork bark and hide in the plants.

I’m betting it’s a similar situation.
That honestly makes the most sense. He has lots of quirks like that. I think he still hasn’t quite learned how to ‘chameleon’, if you will. He’s not scared of people or my dog, hangs out in the front of the enclosure where he can be easily spotted. Never hides. He has eaten from my hand since the beginning. He will come right up to me every time I open his enclosure. He won’t come out on his own, but is always right there just watching you 😂 he’s just super curious. Not secretive about drinking. Doesn’t hiss or flare up often at alll. He didn’t eat his plants ever until just a couple months ago. And I was always reading about how veileds will do that and how they are pissy and will hide…and I’m just like “do I have a veiled or do I have an unkown species here” 🧐

That honestly makes the most sense. He has lots of quirks like that. I think he still hasn’t quite learned how to ‘chameleon’, if you will. He’s not scared of people or my dog, hangs out in the front of the enclosure where he can be easily spotted. Never hides. He has eaten from my hand since the beginning. He will come right up to me every time I open his enclosure. He won’t come out on his own, but is always right there just watching you 😂 he’s just super curious. Not secretive about drinking. Doesn’t hiss or flare up often at alll. He didn’t eat his plants ever until just a couple months ago. And I was always reading about how veileds will do that and how they are pissy and will hide…and I’m just like “do I have a veiled or do I have an unkown species here” 🧐
I’m sure eventually he will get it then. If not he will always just be a little bit of a goof and that’s ok. It’s one of the reasons we all love him so much.

I think they just pass out really fast when the lights go out. To the point that I am envious. Beman has done so in some pretty precarious positions.

Such as this... This was like at 10pm, 3 hours after lights off when I went to check on him. Flash went off on my iphone which is why it is so dang bright.

Attachments

• IMG_6926.jpeg
    IMG_6926.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I think they just pass out really fast when the lights go out. To the point that I am envious. Beman has does so in some pretty precarious positions.

Such as this... This was like at 10pm, 3 hours after lights off when I went to check on him. Flash went off on my iphone which is why it is so dang bright.
So then maybe its just a veiled thing? I don't see my other chams sleeping in strange positions....

Back
Top Bottom