Why is he doing this?

Rosie42892

I just saw my five month old panther go from his basking spot, and quickly to a spot on one of his branches and knaw on it three or four times ( I heard the grinding). Any ideas why he may be doing this?

did you feed him today? at one of out meetings recently someone's young panther was doing this.... it isn't good for them so try and see if food helps?

How much are you feeding and what is your dusting schedule?

Normally I feed five 1/2in crickets in the morning and three small silkworms in the afternoon. I ran out of silkies and could not get any until tomorrow so I have been giving him 8-10 crickets. He also gets one butterworm every other day.
My dusting schedule is
Monday- Herptivite
Tuesday-Rep-Cal w/ d3
Wednesday-Miner-all
Thursday-Herptivite
Friday-Rep-Cal w/ d3
Saturday-Miner-all
Sunday-Rep-Cal w/ d3

whoa, that seems like a lot of D3. Most people dust with D3 once or twice a month.

You need a calcium that doesn't have D3 in it like reptical w/o d3 and use that at almost every feeding. vitamins and d3 a few times a month, and that's for a growing cham. an older cham needs even less.

did you feed him today? at one of out meetings recently someone's young panther was doing this.... it isn't good for them so try and see if food helps?

I fed him a few more crickets and a butterworm. A few minutes later her went and knawed on the branch again...

:(:(

whoa, that seems like a lot of D3. Most people dust with D3 once or twice a month.

You need a calcium that doesn't have D3 in it like reptical w/o d3 and use that at almost every feeding. vitamins and d3 a few times a month, and that's for a growing cham. an older cham needs even less.

Yeah, this is what was recommended by his breeder, but I am going out now and will pick up some w/o d3.What about the Herptivite and Miner-all quantities?

where'd you get him/her from?

usually vitamins are given once a month or twice...but i'm not the best person to ask because I don't use either of those products, But a lot of people on here do. I'm sure someone will chime in soon.

As long as he doesn't eat it and get impacted he will be fine. I noticed young panthers like to gnaw on stuff from time to time.

As long as he doesn't eat it and get impacted he will be fine. I noticed young panthers like to gnaw on stuff from time to time.

Yikes!! I just realized I have been spelling gnaw as knaw:eek:. But thankyou, I feel a little more at ease now!

your supp schedule should be something like this

MON-FRI- Calcium w/o D3

SAT- Nothing

SUN- alternate calcium w/D3 and a multivitamin

I would think gnawing on branches and stuff could cause cuts in the mouth and infections... Im not trying to scare but only asking a question...

d3-4x a week?

Normally I feed five 1/2in crickets in the morning and three small silkworms in the afternoon. I ran out of silkies and could not get any until tomorrow so I have been giving him 8-10 crickets. He also gets one butterworm every other day.
My dusting schedule is
Monday- Herptivite
Tuesday-Rep-Cal w/ d3
Wednesday-Miner-all
Thursday-Herptivite
Friday-Rep-Cal w/ d3
Saturday-Miner-all
Sunday-Rep-Cal w/ d3
am i understanding things correctly? im certainly no panther person, but i just had to jump in here. you didnt specify if the minerall was with d3 or not, but if it is, then you are giving d3 5 times a week? and multivite twice a week? even if it isnt (minerall w d3), its still a clear case of extreme oversupplementation and is likely to crash that chams health in no time. it might be a good idea to just stick to plain calcium and not give any supplemental vitamins for a while (like at least 6weeks) that will give you time to work out a more sensible supplementation schedule. i would think that d3- 2x a month and multivite 1x every 6-8 weeks would be plenty, and thats if you dust sparingly, might not hurt to cut back a bit on the butterworms either jmo

Last edited:
am i understanding things correctly? im certainly no panther person, but i just had to jump in here. you didnt specify if the minerall was with d3 or not, but if it is, then you are giving d3 5 times a week? and multivite twice a week? even if it isnt (minerall w d3), its still a clear case of extreme oversupplementation and is likely to crash that chams health in no time. it might be a good idea to just stick to plain calcium and not give any supplemental vitamins for a while (like at least 6weeks) that will give you time to work out a more sensible supplementation schedule. i would think that d3- 2x a month and multivite 1x every 6-8 weeks would be plenty, and thats if you dust sparingly, might not hurt to cut back a bit on the butterworms either jmo

The Miner-all does not have D3. So I should be feeding calcium w/o D3 nearly daily, w/ D3 1-2 times per month, and Herptivite every month or so?

I would think gnawing on branches and stuff could cause cuts in the mouth and infections... Im not trying to scare but only asking a question...

Yes, that was part of my worry, thats why I am wondering the cause of it so I can stop it all together.

your supp schedule should be something like this

MON-FRI- Calcium w/o D3

SAT- Nothing

SUN- alternate calcium w/D3 and a multivitamin

If you are using repcal w/D3 this is a good schedule.

If you are using the minerall W/D3 I would throw in one more day of D3 usage. Maybe do it on a Wednesday and sunday

Back
Top Bottom