Why does my chameleon try eating the fake plants

Mrod262001

As I was adding to his cage he stared right at one of the fake big leaves I just put in and stuck his youngest out and “caught” it so I had to take it out of his mouth why does he do this anyway I can stop it?

Offer him some greens and gut load your feeders really well. That's what worked in my case. Except, he lost interest in greens pretty quickly as he grew. He'll eat some from time to time. He'll also nibble on live plants from time to time as well.

If it's a veiled this is normal. They need plants in their diet. I give mine collard greens and he tends to eat a lot of it. Do you have live plants in your cage? I cannot out pothos in there without mine destroying it. I have to put greens in there for him every day.

Panthers on the other hand do not eat plants.

Greens I say yes but the problem with kale and spinach is that it binds calcium and this can be counter productive since chams need calcium to avoid MBD.
oh really!!! i never knew that!!! thanks for letting me know, i'll stop feeding spinach then, my biggest recommendation would be buy a ficus or pothos or umbrella plant, if he's trying to munch on leaves then it may be best to get him a plant that is in his cage full time

Are you sure he is trying to eat it or just trying to get water off of it? Maybe he is super thirsty. If you hand mister and he starts drinking right away then you need to increase your misting.

good point @JoshD49 brought up, how much are you misting and how long
I have a mister for him it sprays for 12 sec all other the cage but it wasn’t that he was thirsty cause as I said I just put the leaves in and they were dry he just watched them then stuck his tongue out tried eating it u had to take it out of his mouth

I have a mister for him it sprays for 12 sec all other the cage but it wasn’t that he was thirsty cause as I said I just put the leaves in and they were dry he just watched them then stuck his tongue out tried eating it u had to take it out of his mouth
Is the mister the only water source? Sounds like he is thirsty because you are not misting long enough. 12 seconds is nothing. You should have longer sessions. I am not sure of length of time for a panther as mine is for a veiled. But I am pretty sure they are similar. I have a 2 minute session in the morning 1 hour after lights come on, a 5 minute session at noon, and a 2 minute session 1.5 hours before lights go off. I also have a little dripper for a constant drip source through the day. Your sessions need to be long enough also so he can clean his eyes out. Mine are spaced to allow for a total dry out between to avoid other issues.

If you do put greens in the cage then use these: mustard greens, turnip greens, dandelion leaves, collard greens, escarole lettuce.

Avoid these: cabbage, iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce, spinach

If you do put greens in the cage then use these: mustard greens, turnip greens, dandelion leaves, collard greens, escarole lettuce.

Avoid these: cabbage, iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce, spinach
I am going to ask a stupid question here. With the dandelion leaves where do I get these. I have looked at stores and they don't have them so I am assuming these are pulled from the yard???? :)

I am going to ask a stupid question here. With the dandelion leaves where do I get these. I have looked at stores and they don't have them so I am assuming these are pulled from the yard???? :)

Most grocery stores should sell them... The are used in many types of salads. I would avoid plucking anything from the yard since the majority of people use fertilizers and pesticides.

Most grocery stores should sell them... The are used in many types of salads. I would avoid plucking anything from the yard since the majority of people use fertilizers and pesticides.
Ok that was what I was thinking too about pulling from the yard. I will try the natural grocery store to see if they have them. Thank you!

you need to be spraying at least two mins each time, 12sec isn't enough. along with that he should have another water source like a dripper but that's optioinal. he needs time to drink, clean his eyes and moisturize his skin.

Back
Top Bottom