Why does he try to eat me? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sketchie&Apollo

Every time I open his cage for pretty much anything that involves my hand going into it, he opens his mouth a little bit and he gets ready to launch his tongue like i have a cricket with me. Can anyone tell me why?

Okay i just realized it's not just my hand he also tries to eat anything I put in like I was putting in a plastic tube filled with crickets that comes out of my cricket keeper and he shot at it with his tongue even before any crickets came out. Please help.

It's just how some chams are, and isn't really an issue. Just make sure your guy doesnt latch into something (like the cricket keeper tube) and pull himself to it - he could hurt his tongue!

This is my Lily every time I go into her enclosure, or look at her for too long. They figure out where the food comes from pretty quickly!

I'm under the impression that chams can actually "unstick" their tongue. There have been multiple occasions when a roach or worm has made it's way to my finger before the cham starts to go for it... then when they do shoot, you can feel the almost sandpaper/tentacle feel of a cham tongue. Recently, my female did this and started to pull my finger towards her mouth, and pull herself towards my hand. When she realized this she "let go" and still got the silkie.

So long as the object they hit can't damage them... it's just part of owning a cham. As a side note... never feed from pointed tweezers and such as that can and will substantially damage the tongue. [Not saying you do... just putting it out there]

Best wishes!

I'm under the impression that chams can actually "unstick" their tongue.

Oh, for sure! But they can also damage themselves before they clue in to the whole "unsticking" business. Lily was so determined to pull my finger to her on one occasion that she dragged herself for a solid 4 inches and almost fell off her branch before she let go, and spent a nervewracking couple minutes flexing her jaw and gulping. Thought she had managed to sprain something! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom