why does he hate me so much?

Pieces

Hey guys, ok so ive had pieces for 2 months now and i think he is about 7 months old.. male veiled he has the greatest cage ever. if i stick my hand into his cage hes cool with me feeding him watering him anything but trying to touch him, if i go to pick him up (the proper way slowly sliding my hand etc.) he puffs up and trys to bite me every time (no matter what coloured clothes im wearing) is this normal.? is he just loving his house? territorrial? so after enough of that i decided to try a green garden glove... when i use this to try and get him out he puffs up turns paper white and freezes..... like he is scarred to even move and his hands get all shaky..... but no stress spots... wierd any comments, or help.. i hope this is just a juvinile thing that he will grow out of.

Not only is he a reptile, he is a male veiled!! They are NOT known for being friendly. The branch will probalby work. I use soft leather gloves when I have to pick little pete up. He is to the point where most of the time he doesn't try to bite he just puffs up and hiss. But the glove are for the few times he does try to bite.:D

Someone else talked about one getting white, I have never seen that, but little pete gets real thin and freezes.

My chameleon HATES me as well.
I mean full on hate. 6 month old panther.

He totally bites, lunges, gapes, hisses, and puffs, any chance he gets.

Too near the cage, puff.
Walk into the room, hiss.
Putting in a feeder, gape!
Taking him out for sun, LUNGE!

The guy gets the royal treatment, living the freaking high life. Excellent cage, ultimate variety of feeders, but since day 1, that is his attitude.

Anyways, some seem friendly, but the veiled are usually more aggressive it seems. Guess mine is veiled at heart.

There is a silver lining to owning an aggressive chameleon:
1. Change in mood will be obvious
2. You get to see them fired up alot
3. The ladies think chameleon scars are cool

ok cool so it is normal... i will get some picks of him white... he freezes up to the point where he doesnt even hold the branch some times he takes a fall so i stopped with thte glove... what colour is the leather one you use. laurie? also i had him on my arm one day he fully gaped and his and started running at my face... i crapped my pants i thought i was a gonner. thanks alot guys ( and girls) for the re assurance that he is normal....

The attitude seems to change once you take them out of their home. He gets pissy at times when outside, but not nearly as aggressive.

His territory however, that is a different story.

I don't use a glove myself, but I put both hands in his cage. Use one to dangle in his face and catch both eyes attention, then sloooooowly put your other hand under him. Mine is pretty wily however, he gets some good ones.

My chameleon HATES me as well.
I mean full on hate. 6 month old panther.

He totally bites, lunges, gapes, hisses, and puffs, any chance he gets.

Too near the cage, puff.
Walk into the room, hiss.
Putting in a feeder, gape!
Taking him out for sun, LUNGE!

The guy gets the royal treatment, living the freaking high life. Excellent cage, ultimate variety of feeders, but since day 1, that is his attitude.

Anyways, some seem friendly, but the veiled are usually more aggressive it seems. Guess mine is veiled at heart.

There is a silver lining to owning an aggressive chameleon:
1. Change in mood will be obvious
2. You get to see them fired up alot
3. The ladies think chameleon scars are cool

The ladies don't think chameleon scars are cool when it is our little s**t's who have bit us!!!

ok cool so it is normal... i will get some picks of him white... he freezes up to the point where he doesnt even hold the branch some times he takes a fall so i stopped with thte glove... what colour is the leather one you use. laurie? also i had him on my arm one day he fully gaped and his and started running at my face... i crapped my pants i thought i was a gonner. thanks alot guys ( and girls) for the re assurance that he is normal....

I use a soft netural, sort of tan colored glove, ALWAYS the same gloves. Believe me pete would know the difference, sometimes after I have him out I can hold him without a glove, but the little sucker puts holes in my hand from his steel grip. Always gets right next to a fingernail so it stays sore. Who says chams don't know what they are doing? Meet Little Pete. Not great pictures but the best I could get, he is very colorful.

Attachments

• P4110001.jpg
    P4110001.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 472
  • P4110002.jpg
    P4110002.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 478
  • P4110003.jpg
    P4110003.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 481
Where do you with the hater chams keep em are they in high trafic area or very low, like they only see you when they get fed ?

Where do you with the hater chams keep em are they in high trafic area or very low, like they only see you when they get fed ?

I live in the same room as my chameleon. So he sees me everyday while I am on my computer. I am usually the only person in my room, and that actually reflects in his attitude compared to others in the family. He hates me less, but hates none the less.

So yeah, he is in the same room with me for at least 5 hours to 12 hours everyday since I have had him.

He usually keeps an eye on me at all times. All, times. He is like Sauron.

my chameleon hates me too. im becoming afraid of him and i cant handle having him anymore and i have no clue what to do. he, too, has the high life. but ive tried everything and he still hates me. I've had my chameleon for a few weeks, he's had all the requirements to be happy and healthy, but he still hates it when i get close to him. Which makes it hard to clean his enclosure and pick up shedded skin. He just constantly hisses at me and looks like he's going to bite me. No reptile stores or people will buy a mean chameleon. I don't know what to do.

my chameleon hates me too. im becoming afraid of him and i cant handle having him anymore and i have no clue what to do. he, too, has the high life. but ive tried everything and he still hates me. I've had my chameleon for a few weeks, he's had all the requirements to be happy and healthy, but he still hates it when i get close to him. Which makes it hard to clean his enclosure and pick up shedded skin. He just constantly hisses at me and looks like he's going to bite me. No reptile stores or people will buy a mean chameleon. I don't know what to do.
This post is 7 years old, so you may not get many replies. Reptiles are just that way, they don't like you, but they may learn to tolerate you

Try hand feeding him tasty worms. This way, he'll start to associate you with being fed. It may take a while at first, perhaps he won't even go for them at first, but eventually he'll get excited to see your hands around the cage.

I also find that taking the chams outdoors (once you can handle them) helps as well, even if it's just temporarily. The change in scenery will keep them occupied and interested, while you will become his 'home base' for outdoor time.

Not only is he a reptile, he is a male veiled!! They are NOT known for being friendly. The branch will probalby work. I use soft leather gloves when I have to pick little pete up. He is to the point where most of the time he doesn't try to bite he just puffs up and hiss. But the glove are for the few times he does try to bite.:D

Someone else talked about one getting white, I have never seen that, but little pete gets real thin and freezes.
I will have to try this glove technique.

Just a warning, I used thick leather gloves and my male veiled still bit through them hard enough to leave a blood blister row of teeth prints! They can bite hard and you should know that, before assuming your hands are protected by the gloves. The gloves were similar to the ones Laurie is using, so pretty thick.

Just a warning, I used thick leather gloves and my male veiled still bit through them hard enough to leave a blood blister row of teeth prints! They can bite hard and you should know that, before assuming your hands are protected by the gloves. The gloves were similar to the ones Laurie is using, so pretty thick.
I appreciate the warning of caution, ill keep it mind. Ive been working with my chameleon super slow and will continue to do so. I knew getting this animal would take alot of patience. Thanks again! (O:

Never reach from above. Gary freaks out when I do that without thinking.
I have only used a glove to get him if I am in a hurry and I can't leave him out free ranging. I hand feed him at least 1 worm or cricket every day to keep him associating my hand with happiness. Become a branch. If you're arm is getting tired, I learned that if you gently nudge his back toward you, he will go ahead and crawl up. I don't use it all of the time, but if my hand is falling asleep, and he's being stubborn for stubborn's sake (they do that), I'll use it.

Open the cage and put a branch leading to a safe potted plant He will eventually walk out hopefully. I may take a few attemptes. I am working with my newest, a young male vailed

Attachments

• IMG_0121.JPG
    IMG_0121.JPG
    253.3 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_0122.JPG
    IMG_0122.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 323
Back
Top Bottom