Why do people freak out when you tell them you're getting a Chameleon?

Terrasaur

Why do people freak out when you tell them you're getting a Chameleon?

I'm new to the hobby and these forums. I've been a reef keeper the last 7 years. I think that's the hardest thing I've had to learn about. A lot of it was from error and from years of research before I got a reef tank and filled it with animals.

Now yes. I am asking this question to ease my mind. In the past 2 days it's come up in conversation that I am learning about keeping a chameleon. The firs thing that pops out their mouth is, "shame. I don't think you should be caging animals like that." and the point out all the negative things they've heard or read about the illegal animal trade.

I know I should just be ignoring them and stay on my course as I believe, by keeping these animals. Saltwater, freshwater, reptiles, cats, dogs, anything really. You gain a far greater understanding and respect for them. Understanding their needs, breeding. Different species and focusing your abilities to care for an animal correctly.

Maybe they think I'm going to be playing catch with it.

What are your thoughts as avid Cham keepers and how have you dealt with the ignorance of anti herp keepers?

You will never do anything if you listen to negative comments. There will always be someone that opposes what you do. You are in the right place on the forums. Welcome to the wonderful world of chameleons!

While yes, there are some species that have been imported illegally, smuggled etc.
many of the species we keep today have either been captive bred, or legally imported from the wild.
Do I think its right to rip a cham away from its natural wild habitat so we can keep it as a pet? not really.
But I would rather buy that species legally, than support illegal smuggling.
Not to mention, sometimes those wild chams get used for captive breeding projects. This means that eventually there will be enough chams to supply the demand, and wild ones wont be needed anymore.
Also, sometimes those wild chams are kept in horrible conditions once imported, and since we cant stop that it was already imported (legally or not) we can at least take it home and provide it with a safe, stable, and comfortable environment.
JMO

I think panther and veiled chameleons really aren't any more difficult to keep properly than any other lizard (that is kept properly also- some lizards are more forgiving of poor care than others, and can survive or linger on for longer than many chameleons with poor husbandry but that doesn't mean they are being cared for properly or thriving as they should).

Others are more difficult, but mainly because of parasites and acclimation and that kind of thing. Many other lizards have similar problems which make them difficult, but don't make the headlines like chameleons. Maybe some of the problem is the fact that chameleons are fairly short-lived in nature for the most part, so even acclimated wild caught individuals tend to have shorter lifespans than some other lizards when individuals survive the acclimation process and often go on to live for many years...

Personally, having dipped my big toe into salt water with live rock for my son's aquatic hermit crab interest when he was a young kid, the exacting demands of a reef tank are probably far more intricate and complex than those of any chameleon that is healthy to start out with...

Hello, welcome to the forum :)
In some ways I do think it's bad to keep any animal (I overthink these things and am reminded of the Nirvana lyrics 'The animals I've trapped have all become my pets' :D)
You could try asking them if they've ever eaten an animal, and remind them that you are not planning to eat your Cham.
Or you could ask them if they are so opposed to reptiles as pets what they think of animals that are kept to do work for people........
I suspect the 'freaking out' is just because they are an unusual animal with unusual needs (that's partly why we like them so much!)
Yeah, really it's just like keeping any other animal, you learn about what it needs to be healthy and happy and you provide it.

They don't.
But they do usually freak out when I say I have 28 snakes at home.
Some people are strange.

Welcome!:)
In fairness you have to admit is not the most common pet! And most people know nothing about chameleons...

Haha, people who don't already know I have them get a confused look on their face, and ask if it's the lizard with the googly eyes or the one that changes colors. Then they go on to ask if they can put it on their polka dot shirt. :)

i don think its that bad its not like were pulling them out the wild and putting them in a glass jar with kids tapping the top. shoot mines never seen the wild except out a car window on the way to a vet. most take good care of their cham what wild chams get fecal exams and vet visits because they pooped wrong or just to make sure they are health. whats bad is over population in the wild and pl thinking there pests. kinda like hunting for chams except no one kills them, on purpose. if your ready for a overwhelming start which it sounds like you have the patience, they get easier once u learn their routine notice i said their, they can be as fickle as a cats rep. just research to start with go ahead and get the cage right and im sure hel adjust well and hell make u happy and you him.

Maybe you should ask them what makes chameleons different from any other animals we keep as pets. Sure, they have different and more complex needs than something like a hamster, but if they are given proper care, what's the problem? All "pet" animals were domesticated at some point in time. This planet didn't just pop up with certain animals that are domestic and not present in the wild and other wild animals that "shouldn't" be kept in captivity.

people freaking out

A lot of people I tell I have a chameleon instantly think of an Iguana, & they are thinking it will be huge like a crocodile.

They when they meet Simone, they are surprised & pleased that she is sweet & often will reach to climb on them.

I make sure I impress on them that she requires special care. And that habitats & supplies can be $$$. Not to try & discourage anyone from getting one, but helping inform them before they make that decision.

of course I also direct them here... & tell them "read, read, read":D

Hey fellow reefer. I had salt running thru my veins for yrs. Had 3 reef tanks at one point. Then Hurricane Ike hit and wiped me out! We had no power for over 15 days and I couldnt find a generator to run my tanks until it was too far gone. Lost thousands of dollars in fish & corals. :mad: You will learn cham husbandry fairly quick if youve dealt with reef keeping. I started with chams left the hobby for awhile and went into reef tanks & macaws for about 10 yrs. Now Im back into chams after losing my tanks. Ive often referred to my chams enclosures as being similar to a reef tank only you can on occasion take the inhabitants of a cham enclosure out and hold them and interact. Both make awesome displays in your home or office and with proper care chams can live 5-6 yrs in captivity on avg with some living even longer.

Good luck, & glad you found the forum.:D

Back
Top Bottom