Why Chameleons??

It's funny, but I honestly can't remember. I was never a reptile person. I am really trying to remember how I became obsessed with chameleons, and I just can't!

Why a chameleon??

I bred and raised veiled chams years ago...before the internet (yes life existed back then) I dont know if it is the eyes, the feet, quirky movements...but chameleons are so interesting and unique not to mention the colors. They have personality. I love my grumpy baby boy. He thinks hes a big monster stuck in a bity body. I cant say that its one thing :)

I started out wanting an iguana back in college. There was one free ranging in a little pet shop that I'd buy goldfish at (only thing my school would "allow".) As I did research I realized the size and temperment that iguanas can get, and just felt they weren't for me. Then, I fell for water dragons - similar look, but smaller. As I researched them I realized how big their cage had to be, much like the iguana.

All this time I would see baby veileds in the petsore, and after graduation and moving here to Florida I started doing cham research. My husband is tolerant, and helps me feed on mornings I work early, but about 5 or 6 years ago I got my first panther. He did well, so I added a veiled. The first panther passed away at 4 years old, but now I'm up to that veiled and a pair of panthers. I know I don't ever want more than 3 chams at a time, and really consider which species to work with next. :D

Back
Top Bottom