Whomi is turning 5, health is on the decline :(

Sir Spiral Tail

My panther is turning 5 next month. He is still eating and drinking fairly normally. His casque has been low for months, and no amount of water or food he will accept makes a difference. He has recently developed a lump by his eye. He fell from his tree today and just laid on his side, didn't get up, or move at all. He rubbed his head on me when I picked him up. What can I do in his poor old health to make him most comfortable, and the least stressed? I am assuming this is fairly normal old age occurrences, because I have not changed any habits with him, so if I am incorrect, please let me know. I have had him since he was a baby, so please only give me information you have acquired from experience, not hearsay, or research. I trust people's personal experience over anything else. Thanks so much. :(

My panther is turning 5 next month. He is still eating and drinking fairly normally. His casque has been low for months, and no amount of water or food he will accept makes a difference. He has recently developed a lump by his eye. He fell from his tree today and just laid on his side, didn't get up, or move at all. He rubbed his head on me when I picked him up. What can I do in his poor old health to make him most comfortable, and the least stressed? I am assuming this is fairly normal old age occurrences, because I have not changed any habits with him, so if I am incorrect, please let me know. I have had him since he was a baby, so please only give me information you have acquired from experience, not hearsay, or research. I trust people's personal experience over anything else. Thanks so much. :(

I'm sorry your little one is not too good. 5 years is a good age for a panther. Do you think the lump by his eye is an abscess or infection of some kind ? If so do you think he could cope with a vet visit and a course of antibiotics? Because he is falling it might be a good idea to take away his high vines so he can't climb too high. You could also line the bottom of the viv with a folded towel to break a fall. If you do the above you would need to take his basking light down so he can keep warm. I have lost two veileds and it is very hard to watch them decline. The last one I wrapped in a towel to keep him upright as he was unable to balance and laid down on his side were he was not comfortable. Hope this helps. Keep us posted.

To be honest, I am not sure what the lump is. An abcess might be the culprit. His casque is low, and his face looks boney, skin is all tight and sucked in. He still drinks(directly from a spray bottle, so i know how much and how often) and eats fairly regular. Not as much as he used to, but I think that is to be expected. He is free range, and lately has taken an interest in climbing up behind my reef tank, watching the fish all day. I suppose an infection might be possible, but like you mentioned, I am not sure he could take a car ride, and being poked and prodded by a vet. Here in springfield missouri the herp vet selection is pretty slim...the last one I saw, for my basalisk, talked like he'd never seen a chameleon before, so I don't know that I trust my babies life in his hands...there are a lot of misconceptions about chameleons, and I have read plenty about vets blaming it on vitamin a deficiency, then od'ing them on it...hence asking for personal experience only. Thanks for taking the time to answer me, it means a lot!

I read into your answer that you think it is time to let him go. You are doing the best for him in his last few weeks with you. It is a very hard decision to make and I support your decision. I will be thinking of you both at this time.

I think it would be best to call around and see if any vets are willing to learn about chameleons to help him. It's possible that it is from old age, but there could be some other stuff going on too (that can be fixed or at least helped.) That said, if you really dont trust the vets around you to do the best the can and research chameleons/call chameleon knowledgable vets, then I don't think there is much you can do for him.

For now at least, give him a comfortable area to sit/climb on that is fairly low. Turning the cage on its side would be a good idea. Put towels or blankets or something else that will soften any falls on the bottom of the cage in case he falls. Make sure he can't get too hot or too cold. I made a hammock when my nearly 7 year old veiled couldn't hold himself up on branches anymore (so that he could still be somewhat high up, but couldn't fall/climb off and hurt himself.) He died a few days later. I have heard of some geriatric chameleons that have lived for quite a while even after they couldn't climb anymore. I believe Gesang has a thread about one of hers who lived near a window on a blanket during the day and was handfed and watered until he died at a nice old age. Maybe you can search for that.

Only you and your animals will know when it is time to put them to sleep. If that is what you think is best for him, then I'm sure it is.

Back
Top Bottom